Saturday 2 July 2011

A birthday card for a special young lady

Today is a young neighbour's birthday - Abi (or Abigail to give her full name) is 14 today. She does hop into my blog now and then, although Facebook is her preferred method of communication........Happy Birthday Abi!!!  This is the card I started to watercolour on holiday with her birthday in mind:
The image is called Red Hearts, designed by Ching Chou Kuik and produced by Sweet Pea Stamps. I'm totally in love with this range of stamps and they're worth the time it takes to colour them. In fact, they're in some ways made easier by the detail in the design itself - if that makes sense on a hot and humid Saturday morning!

Firstly I water coloured the image and then, once home added Twinkling H2O's to the wings and moon then matching colours of Stickles for some sparkle here and there. The image was layered onto some black card and the purple lightly patterned metallic card blank was made using some KanBan card from QVC, the double layer of knotted purple and pink organza  ribbons are from my stash - along with the sentiment and a couple of little pink gems. I used this sentiment as it matched the final colouring and sparkle of the moon!

I said in a previous post that I stuck very much to the colours used in the picture which comes with the stamp (don't you just love it when at least you get that as some guidance) - but the possibilities for variation are endless I'm sure. One step at a time though :)

It's been a while since I used my Twinkling H2O's as I was never happy with the skin and some other effects - silly me, combining them with normal watercolours or probably Aqua Markers is the solution! The mix of matt and silky colours really works for some images - just as well, as being me, I have the full range of Twinkling H2O's and what a waste that would have been :)

It sounds like it came together quickly but I had my craft room almost upside down looking for the right card blank! Normally I pick out the pieces to use for a card before I set to doing any colouring but this time I hadn't so there was a lot of head scratching and huffing and puffing here today :)


Most of all, I hope Abi likes it  and has a brilliant birthday!

Di
x

20 comments:

  1. I love this image - one of my favourites and that amazing background gives it a magical feel - thanks for joining us at Sweet Pea Stampers. Debbie xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D :D Beautiful!!
    I have coloured her twice this way and also in shades of purple , of blue, of pink and of lemon ..never get tired.
    Thanks for entering the Sweet Pea stampers challenge :D
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a pretty card your Abbie is going to love it :D I LOVE all the sparkle.
    Thank you for joining us at Sweet Pea stampers and good luck.

    Hugs

    Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane,
    Absolutely Gorgeous!!! Love the adorable image you've used, the dp's, the colour scheme is just gorgeous. Love the layout and the embellishments look beautiful. Coloured so beautifully. Thanks for joining us at The Poodles Parlour and Good Luck. Hope to see you joining us again.
    Hugs Jacqui xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Di and I'm sure Abi will love it.

    Hugs, Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card, the colours are gorgeous
    Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Truly Scrumptious this fortnight, good luck & hope you’ll join us again!
    Hugz Fleur xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I am sure Abi will love it.
    Thanks for joining us at Sweet Pea Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just so gorgeous sweetie...!

    thanks for joining us at The Poodles Parlour...and good luck..!

    hugs Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful and l'm sure Abi will love it too!:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's outside your normal images Di, but I love it. Just right for the teens today!! Well done, beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I am sure Abi will love it, actually any 14 year old would. The image is beautiful, your coloring and all the sparkle is stunning. Don't think you could have picked a more perfect card blank. It's as magical as the image.
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic colouring and this stamp is just so fabolous. Lov it!

    Thank you for joining us at Sweet Pea Stampers.
    Love Renate

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab card Di. Such vibrant colours too. Just the ticket for a teenager's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She's goona love it Di! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Update - it was a hit with Abi!! Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for joining us at truly scrumptious this week for our things with wings challenge with this lovely image and card

    Wendy DT TS

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like these stamps too and am very tempted to start adding some to my ever growing collection. Your card is lovely and the colours really suit her. Thanks for sharing it with us at By The Cute And Girly.

    ** Kate **

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bet she loved this card its just so amazing and my favourite image!!! Loving the background papers just perfect!

    Thanks for joining us over at SPS Love Chanelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really sweet. Thanks for joining us over at By the Cute and Girly this month and good luck. Hugs, Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  20. that backing looks amazing with that image, excellent combination

    Good luck in the challenges, hugs Sarah-Louise My Blog

    Designing for:
    Crafty Purple Frog , Sweet Pea Stampers ,Bearly Mine Designs , Kenny K and My Time To Craft

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.