Thursday 28 July 2011

Hedgehog update and a hedgie card

Update first - we have two, if not three, hedgies visiting and having dinner almost every night.. After the sad fate of Harriet a couple of weeks ago this is such good news. From what the CCTV picks up we think it's a large adult and two smaller ones - the smaller ones sometimes feed together, jostling for space at the feeding bowl but the large hedgie tootles along for dinner alone (and in peace?). Occasionally they all stay cosied up and don't come out to play if it's raining during the night - perhaps I should run up some little plastic rain coats for them?

To celebrate I made this card yesterday - in between WOYWW blog hopping:


I'm not sure who the image is made by - I swopped some images with 'Karen from Kent' a while back and this was one of the ones she sent. On the subject of Karen, I emailed her a little while back and she hasn't replied - also her blog What's This Then?? hasn't been updated since 3rd May so I hope everything is OK, maybe some of you also know her? It's unusual for her to be so silent and the lack of activity on her blog is what's worrying.

Back to the image, I love the way it sort of tells a tale of a baby hedgie pondering, then having a Eureka moment, then giving his Mum a flower - and finally I like to think he's been popped into the plant pot along with the flower to keep him out of mischief! The image was coloured with Pro Markers of course.

The mauve card is from my snippets, backing paper is from a Pink Petticoat pack called Wild Blossoms Collection (free with Quick Cards Made Easy), the pink strip came from my snippets too. It's the plain reverse of a patterned piece of card which was just the right shade of pink, edged using a MS punch then embossed with a CB edge embossing folder. The ribbon is from my stash, along with the pearls and the Craftwork Cards sentiment.

I think this card might well be sent to the Wildlife Sanctuary where they tried to save Harriet - they deserve a little smile!

Almost forgot, I'm entering this into Jules' Crafty Snippet Challenge - Week 29 - but it's a very slow process getting those snippets to look any less in their folder :(

I'm off now to pack and post more of those Pro Marker nibs - and yippee, after a dull start the sun is shining!

Di

21 comments:

  1. That is such a fun card. I love hedgehogs and I collect them as well (the china variety that is!) They are very rare out here, but there are a few around.The paper colours work well on your card. I like the CB embossing along the lace. I must remember that trick. I have several of those borders that hardly ever get an airing.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Di

    Sweet card! I think the image is from Little Claire's.

    Hope you can find out if your fellow-blog chum is ok.

    Hugs, Sarn xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card Di. I'm really hoping you manage to snap a few pics of your little vititors.....I have to discourage them from visiting here cos our one little dog plays football with them and often comes in bleeding cos the hedgie doesn't play nicely :-)
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. At 10:30 last night I almost got a chance to take a photo - but as soon as I opened the door he upped and ran away!!! Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant card, love that hedgie image. Great way to use your snippets.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Di, what a great hedgie card! I have the CB folder I must use it that way! Thanks for the inspiration and for the update on your Hedgies, I've been wondering about the little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Di, great post about the hedgehogs - I just love anything hedgehoggy :) Great card too and using up snippets - fabulous. Love the stamped images...comes alive with your interpretation and got to say that dp is gorgeous. You've got me worried now that I may have linked up in the wrong place on Jules' site - I found it on her post for 24 July...here's the link - http://jules-alwayswithaheart.blogspot.com/2011/07/jules-crafty-snippet-challenge-week-29.html#comment-form
    ...Let me know if I've got it wrong!!! Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth - that's fine! I've just nipped over to Jules' blog and checked your link - it goes back to your yummy snippets posting. It was just that I couldn't see a link to Jules' blog from your own posting. Just so others can join in the parteeee!! Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hedgehogs are just so cute - I loved our old house where hedgehogs would visit every night and come right up to the doors and not be afraid of us at all... haven't seen a hedgehog near here since we moved six years ago :(

    On a better note - love the card! The images are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is another fabulous creation of yours Di you always deliver!! love the stamp images they are so cute l love also how you have embossed and laced effect also the petals what a great idea! :) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the hedgie card - thanks so much for the nibs - beautifully wrapped too! Love n a hug x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hallo Arnty Di!

    I havent seen our Hedgermahogin for a long time, but I noe he still comes to supper cos I see his poo. Hehe!!

    :@}

    Mummy thinks that hedgie stamp is from Littol Clare. She is gettin sum in theyer sale an is maykin stuff for the fair wen weel sell stuff for the hedgermahogin reskew peepol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hedgehog pics - the card is fab. My lovely little parcel arrived yesterday - thanks lots - I will have a trip out and treat Wipso and me to some PMs now!! have a great week. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Di

    Another gorgeous snippet make .. . and an extra special one because it will be really loved by the recipients I am sure. It will certainly make them smile.

    I love little hedgehogs too .. .. but the Penny Black sort are my absolute favourites LOL!!!

    Great use of your snippets and the pink backing paper is gorgeous. Love the embossing too!!

    Thank you for playing in the snippet playground again this week.

    Love Jules xx

    p.s. Yes, I think snippets do breed when we aren't looking. In fact mine do it whilst I am looking .. .. I start off with one snippet .. .. use part of it .. .. and then sometimes end up with another two smaller ones!!! What's that all about?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG Jules has me in stitches. I agree those snippets do breed.

    What a great card. I know the wildlife folks will be thrilled to get it. Such a sweet (story) image. I really like the embossed and lacy punched border. I've never seen that done before. Must remember it. Lovely color combo as well.
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really lovely card, like the way you have done the embossed border horizontal instead of vertical and it looks really good. I would never hae thought of that.
    I don't think we have hedgehogs but we get loads of different birds and we have a bluetit birdhouse with a camera in, didn't get any nesting this year which in a way I was quite pleased about as last year I saw 3 of the babies kill another baby and it so upset me.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for such lovely comments! And now I know why my snippets breed, I also keep the leftovers from any snippet I use - so may well end up with two bits leftover where there was only one to begin with. Why didn't I work that one out for myself?! Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute card! I love hedgehogs they are so cute! My sister had a couple that she was fostering for a wildlife group. How they made it to Oklahoma is anyones guess cause they don't grow here...but she got them better and they were given to a school to keep. Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  19. WAT the?
    Hoo ar yu calling a wuss??
    Bluddy cheek!!!!
    I can do feroshus, yu noe.
    Yu mite think I'm small an cewt but I'm a feroshus Bear an an an an well jus watch it, rite?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Bob - I'm sorry for upsetting you! I was only suggesting that you might hide under the bed when there are thunderstorms rather than disappear into the pants drawer :)) You did make me laugh - anyone else who likes to know what Bob gets up to should go to his very funny blog - just click on his link and be prepared to lose a bit of your heart to such a funny bear. Who else would start up a campaign to have Ch*rmin remove embossed bears from their loo rolls on the grounds that it just isn't right to use bear images on your nether regions! Sorry Bob!! Hugss, Di xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.