Saturday 1 October 2011

The results of looking for something else......

....can turn up things you forgot you had in a craft room, n'est ce pas?

Whilst gathering together Christmas backing papers I stumbled across a whole flipping KanBan kit, bought quite a while ago, called 'Birds of Paradise'. It came with all the card stock, toppers and messages plus other bit and bobs. I'd even got as far as carefully removing all the toppers and messages from their sheets before carefully putting them into cello bags - and then hiding them! This is what I quickly rustled up yesterday:
The card and toppers are all black and white with lovely holographic (today's big word!) silver highlights. And, all you need to do is to choose what goes with what - not always easy as there are so many combinations. These would be great to make up and send to St Luke's in Sheffield.

All I did was use an A4 sheet from the pack, score and fold it to A5 size, ponder over the multiple choices, stick using sticky pads (the peacock has an extra layer of the image for dimension), then add some organza ribbon from my stash. This ribbon, from Hobbycraft ages ago but I think they still stock it, is great as it has little silver sparkly swirls on it. For a long time I avoided ribbon like this as it comes wired but it's so simple to just cut your length and then pull the wire out from the end. It does widen the choices too :))

The peacock brought back a few memories - not least my Mum's superstition that peacock feathers in the house were a definite 'no-no'. Something to do with the evil eye and all that - although in Asia, the feathers of the peacock are considered auspicious and protective. Whatever, I think they are beautiful creatures and will never forget seeing a pure white peacock showing it's fabulous lacy white tail off.

It's lovely and hot here again so I hope you're enjoying whatever you have planned for the weekend. I'm driving up to Warwickshire for a meeting tomorrow - my old school association's committee meeting. And if they ask for volunteers to make 200+ table favours for the next reunion, I for one will not be standing up waving and squeaking 'Pick me, pick me!!!'. Been there, done that one :(

Have a fun weekend!

Di 
x

10 comments:

  1. Lovely elegant and classy card today!

    Okay, okay, I'm going BACK outside in the sunshine!

    Safe journey Di.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and elegant - the charity will love it - it all helps to raise funds for them. Off to have a nail painting session now before a party tomorrow, have fun driving up the motorway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gran said the same thing about peacock feathers... the evil eye - must be the italian in the blood *lol* Other thing my mum used to say (and her mum and gran too) was that pearls are for tears.
    funny though, we had peacock feathers and pearls in the house.
    Love this card - very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great card Di,i can see your holographic shinning through its lovely and the image of the peacock is stunning too! just another gorgeous card:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is so beautiful. I love the elegant look. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is stunning Di.... I LOVE IT!!! The black and white with the ribbon looks so elegant.
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love black and white and any tyoe of sparkle is good for me.
    Great idea for St Lukes.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Stunning and Elegant! I love peacocks, they are so beautiful. A peacock feather stamp fell into my basket on my shopping spree yesterday. 40% off so I let it come home with me. :) Have a safe trip.
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Di, this is such a beautiful card! I have to say...I am a big fan of black and white. There is just something about those two colours together that I find so elegant!!! You've done an amazing job, as always! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning card Di. I love the colour scheme of the black and white. I must admit I never used it until recently and now I'm hooked on using them. We had a good weekend enjoying the sun. Paul's gone back to Headley for the week. I hope you had a good weekend and enjoyed your reunion. Hugs Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.