Friday 13 April 2012

Friday Feast - Prawn, pea and mint risotto

This yummy risotto is based on a Jamie Oliver recipe, I found it in a TV guide some while back. Whilst it has the creaminess of risotto, the freshness of the peas, mint and basil are a fabulous combination with the prawns:

Prawn, pea and mint risotto

Serves 4 - or two hungry people in our house!

450g (1lb) peeled prawns
2 onions
2 cloves garlic
Olive oil
400g (14oz) risotto rice
2 glasses white wine
1.5 litres vegetable stock
3 handfuls cooked peas
Juice of 1 lemon
Handful of basil
Half a handful mint
Knob of butter
60g (2.25 oz) grated Parmesan cheese

Heat/make up vegetable stock
Chop onion and garlic cloves, fry until soft in a touch of olive oil
Add risotto rice, stirring until translucent
Add white wine, stirring
Add stock, a ladleful at a time and keep stirring, until rice is cooked
Season (I didn't)
Add cooked peas and peeled prawns and simmer for 2 minutes
Add lemon juice, basil and mint
Remove from heat and stir in a knob of butter and the Parmesan cheese

Things I do: Firstly, to my shame, this is only the second time I've ever cooked a risotto - the first time was an unmitigated disaster many years ago. I reckon I didn't stand over it the whole time as this one turned out perfectly :) I used frozen peas, cooked the way I usually do - in a large Pyrex jug with a little bit of water and done in the microwave on high - about five minutes with a stir halfway through the cooking. The recipe doesn't recommend which sort of pan to use - I used my latest huge (and weighing an absolute ton!) ruby red cast iron deep frying pan. I love that pan so much, but even Len finds it a tussle to lift - definitely a two-handed job - perhaps a mixed success of a purchase! The prawns were bought uncooked, so I don't know how this would work with ready cooked prawns - possibly OK as they don't go in until the end. I'm a little beast though, I love to watch fresh prawns turn all pink in front of me :) Finally, the day I made this, I didn't have any fresh mint growing here and our local supermarkets were without as well. So, I took the risk and just used about half a teaspoon or less of dried mint at the end and it worked absolutely fine.

Writing this up has made me hungry, so I think that's tonight's meal sorted out.

Enjoy - and if you finish off the wine whilst cooking, don't blame me :)

Di
x

6 comments:

  1. This looks lovely Di and I bet it tasted good too. I would need to sub the prawns though as not sure why but they freak me out a bit... I know I am one strange one :). Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very tasty Di and the ingredients work well together. My forte is risotto and hubby's fav paella but haven't cooked a risotto for ages.

    Drinking the wine is the chef's privilege lol

    Have a good day xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE risotto . . . especially Jamie's Mushroom one . . . as my Sister will confirm!

    I'd make this . . . but without the yukky prawns!!!! Could always switch for chicken I guess(sshhhhh!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Di, Oh this looks tasty!! love me prawns, looks quick and easy to make and l have never made Risotto ............bet your thinking What!! yeah never so l could well give this one a go thanks again for sharing this with us have a great day:)x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious, Di. Love risotto and used to travel 50 miles quite regularly to go to my favourite Italian cafe just to have their tomato and pea risotto - deeee-vine! I don't make it very often because you do have to stand over it and I like to wander off and do something else too - not much patience for standing around doing nothing :) Enjoy your dinner tonight :) Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooohhhh yessss (Churchill styley) I can definitely confirm that Jamie Oliver's mushroom rissott cooked by Sarn or her OH...is lip smackingly GOOD!!!!!!xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.