Sunday 3 June 2012

Pixie's Crafty Snippets Challenge - 23

A hot week again in the playground, not much skipping but certainly queues for the swings and the paddling pool - although I think we're in for a change in the weather, just in time for the Jubilee celebrations, ain't that always the way :(

This is my snippets make for this week:
It's patriotic, without being red, white and blue :)

I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card stock

- snippets of SU's 'Baja Breeze' card stock as backings - from the snippets folder, which never seems to go down in size

- a whole 6" x 6" sheet of backing paper from Wild Rose Studio's 'Vintage Rose' paper pack, plus a complementary snippet left over from a previous card

- really pretty topper from the Shabby Chic Union Jacks Card Toppers set, sent to me to play with by Tracy of Cardmakers Delights

- snippets of ribbon which were lying here on the desk. The lilac/pink organza ribbon strip looked washed out against the backing card, so I backed it with a strip of magenta ribbon before adding a bow just in the organza - and it made such a difference

- Josy Rose nail heads (but of course)

I also played with a new toy, it's called Sew Easy by We R Memory Keepers:
Such a simple little gadget, it pierces the paper so you can then hand stitch using the guide holes. I do have a cute little sewing machine here, purely for working on paper, but don't always have room or the inclination to set it up. And, hand sewing round the papers was quite therapeutic - good for stress relief when things seem to be going a bit silly :) 

Right, that's my card this Jubilee weekend - onto the Snippets Roll Call now.

Lynn was the first this week to dash into the playground with such a great 60th birthday card. It's a really lovely card - fantastic image and layout as well as a super image - and all in gorgeous shades of purple too. Great words and advice inside as well. Just perfect for a 60th birthday Lynn!

Next was Sylvia-Anne, with a darling baby card, also for the Less Is More Challenge. It's so flippin' cute, with a delightful old fashioned pram (baby carriage for our American playmates) and perfectly proportioned. I love it. Do go and see, and while you're there do scroll down to see the amazing 'book card' Sylvia-Anne made - I've seen these before but this one tops the lot, just beautiful. Not surprisingly it made top 5 in last week's Allosrts challenge - so beautifully made and carefully designed. Well done Sylvia-Anne.

Then Sandra H called by with this terrific card for one of her brothers.  It truly is fabulous and spot-on for a keen fisherman. The wooden effect background looks fantastic and the star fish and nets are brilliant, all in all it's one perfect card Sandra and I love the inclusion of a few pints of beer :)

Elizabeth, feeling the heat like so many of us, arrived next with a really adorable Teddy Bear card (featuring another of Tracy's toppers, and blaming me for temptation). Just wait Elizabeth, my Raspberry Tiramisu will be even more temptation, just you wait and see :) I love the way the hearts on the card echo the heart being held by that Teddy!  So cute.

Next in for a play was Mary H, with some clever tips and this beautiful card - lovely image, great sponging, embossing and a  lovely teal frame. But, also with the tip of embossing two pieces of lighter weight card stock at once - great hint Mary and one I'll remember in future. We're always finding out new tips and hints here :)

Carol scampered in next - with the worrying comment that she'd just topped the paddling pool up. I did laugh, thoughts of it being less than fresh water sprang to mind so I did hop over and say that I think there's a chemical you can get which turns bright green if anything other than fresh water is added to a pool. Anyhow, this is the card that Carol brought. It's absolutely adorable - super image of a fairy on a toadstool, great colouring and I love the PATP set you used Carol.

Next was Irene, with her first attempt at a collage card. I squeaked out loud, if it's a first attempt then I might as well pack up and go home now! Do hop over here to see what I mean - well, I bet you're with me on this one! It's so pretty. love the embossing, tag, DI ink dusting, stamping and lace - they all go together just beautifully Irene!

The irrepressible Sam flew in next (why do I imagine that Sam never walks, but runs everywhere with boundless energy?) - with this brilliant pop-up card, also for Rudolph Day over at Sarn's (challenge is closed now so do start thinking about the 25th June when we have another one coming up!). It really is such a happy card, using a great stamp from Penny Black's 12 Days of Christmas set - which I love to bits! Just take a peek at Monsieur Chook avec un tipple de vin :)  Told you, can't help but smile - thanks Sam.

Linby was next, with such a clean and crisp card, beautiful embossing and lots of pretty little butterflies - you can take a peek for yourself over here. Those little beauties must be a great way to use up the tiniest snippets - and a labour of love to put such a pretty card together Linby. I love it - and thanks for the offer of a chocolate, don't mind if I do :)

Next was Karen T, with this cute card - a little girl on a swing with her teddy :) Lovely colouring Karen and the word 'Hugs' sums the image up perfectly too. Interesting to see peel offs still in use, they'll always have a place in our little hoards I suspect. And, who doesn't love their teddy bear :)

Bernie (winner of this month's Rudolph Day prize) was next to visit with a funny tale and this great card. A first go at resist embossing/stamping and a great success too. Love the music background and the bright, cheerful colours you used too Bernie. There was some debate about how bad the smell of a skunk is - I'm guessing I'd never want to get close up and personal with one then?

Next was Kath, my very dry and funny pal, with this stunning card, also for the Less Is More shaped card challenge. Love the vibrant colours in the flowers and all the sparkle, which did go down well with the LIM team despite Kath's doubt. The sentiment 'Hope Your Birthday Sparkles' is so appropriate too - see Kath, I do press me nose up against the screen :))

We had two visits from Gilly this week, despite it only being four weeks to 'W for Wedding' Day - hope you girls are snipping up confetti and polishing your trimmers for a guard of honour! Gilly's first card is here, also for Rudolph Day, and features a really great Sheena Douglas image, beautifully coloured and then cleverly finished by using white embossing on both the snowflakes and the sentiment. It really does remind me of The Shambles in York. Then, Gilly brought such a pretty blue and white card to show - lovely background Gilly and I love the butterflies using the Sizzix Beautiful Wings embosslit. Perfect!

Mary Mac, despite having a busy time getting ready to go away for her daughter's wedding (have a super time Mary!), found time to come and play this week too, with three fabulous cards which were also for Rudolph Day. Great embossing, little windows with Santa in his workshop and some really cute embellishments make this such a great trio Mary.

Two visits from Amanda as well this week - firstly with such a cute baby card. Having sorted all her snippets (being a bit laid up after a nasty fall had some slight compensations, but you wouldn't want a fall like it I promise you) someone is on a bit of a roll I think :) Love the image Amanda and such pretty papers too. Then, back again with this great card for a chap. Great image and colours Amanda - they go together perfectly! Also another tip from Amanda - she's been using a Cuttlekid machine to die cut. I got really excited about this and tracked it down in the UK, but my understanding is that it only takes dies up to 2.5" square. Such a shame as I know we all whimper when Cuttlebug top plates end up going banana shaped and all scored. Plus, a tip-off from Amanda sent me rushing over to the Glitterpot where they had a 50% sale on, with quite a few Stickeroos I really needed. Of course, quite a few other things fell into my shopping basket and the parcel arrived this morning, whoop, whoop!! Bad influence Amanda :)

Brenda was next with the most fabulous House Mouse card - quick, go here and see! The image of a house mouse lying back relaxing is just adorable, and his sunshade (flower) matches the papers so perfectly Brenda, and a great layout :) I've thrown my hands up and promised Brenda I'll make a stamped House Mouse card as soon as possible - but I just know it won't be a patch on this one. It's a winner in my eyes Brenda!!

OK, that's it for this week - whew. I hope no-one was disappointed that the playground gates closed at noon yesterday - at least this can now be scheduled and I don't need to keep checking up until 10pm this evening, sometimes I'm frantically typing just before midnight. You could always be first on Sunday instead :)

Our Jules is taking a little break - and I for one have missed her snippets card(s), she still manages to make at least one each week, plus no posts on her blog to go and sigh over :( Just over a week to go I think!

And a little bit of extra news, next week will be an even shorter week. It's my school reunion (a local one - not the huge one we have every other year, although I think 120 of us are going to this one next weekend). I fully intend to have a large glass of wine or G & T firmly in my hand a lot of the time, when not being out and about with friends during the day (snort, perhaps carrying a wine glass even then!). Also, I know that hotel internet charges where we're staying are ridiculous - even IF I had any time, which is doubtful unlikely impossible just not gonna happen. So, the playground will close at noon on Friday 8th June allowing me to do the roll call before packing my little spotted handkerchief to go away on Saturday. I'll make sure that the roll call is posted and the playground is re-opened with a new Mr Linky at midnight on Friday 8th June - giving you seven and a half days to play the following week. Whoop, whoop - the hotel is less than a five minute walk from The Art of Craft so I know where one outing will be headed for!

Mr Linky is below as usual. Hope you have a great week and please do remember to follow the conditions below.

Di
x

The only conditions to playing nicely in the Snippet Playground are that your card (or anything else you wish to bring here to show) must be made by using up snippets (card, paper, lace and ribbon are all fine), and a link back to here in your own blog posting will mean that you'll be included in the Weekly Roll Call. Oh, and no nipping or hair pulling of course :)   

25 comments:

  1. Great write up Di, sorry l didn't join in this week, I had to stay in as was on detention for not handing in my homework-the dog ate it! Hoping l'll be allowed back on the swings this week :)

    Beautiful card and love the fact it's not in the 'usual' colours! Fancied one of those sewing thingie's as don't have a proper machine, always too scared l'll sew my fingers together!

    Have a lovely Sunday, it's pouring here in wet Wales xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute and I love the papers you have used, very girly...l

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo pretty I love the alternate colour way.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Di, lovely card - I do like those DPs and the Baja Breeze cardstock, they all go very well with the beautiful topper ... got this one too, told you I succumbed after you showed them to us recently :) The gadget is terrific but I don't hand sew, not even a button if I can possibly avoid it, so will not be adding it to my crafting arsenal ... my bank manager will be happy :)) As usual you've made a great job of the roll call ... can't wait to visit the others. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - this is SOOOO pretty. Reminds me of patchwork. I love it. I'm with Elizabeth . . . my home is a "no sew zone"! But I love cards with stitching on them! I know. It's a dilemma! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good afternoon Di, Well l cannot believe l have entered the playground 1st what an honour!! and again thank you for your lovely comments, gorgeous card Di and the colours are beautiful for this Julilee celebration, your Vintage Rose backing papers are so sweet from Wild rose studio and the topper too! l just love that tool used to make it easier for stitching where did you get it from? an overall beautiful card once again di so lovely and the ribbon adds that finished touch .......gorgeous enjoy the rest of the day:)x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the stitching tool in Hobbycraft.
    Email on the way with more details Sandra,

    Di
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your card Di, especially the colours.
    A great write up as always. Off to watch the pageant. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card Di! And yes, I'd love to join in your snippets challenge sometime... just plucking up the courage first, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute card and what a surprise it is pink!
    Would you believe I had one of those tools in my hand last week and was seriously wondering whether to buy it or not. You can do the road test for me now! Hee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card, Di and very fitting for today. I will be joining you soon with my snippet make x

    ReplyDelete
  12. super card, and I 'liked' that tool on facebook, forgot all a bout it, it looks very useful!
    (Lyn)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful and stunning card Di - I love it. Sorry I'm a bit late in the playground this week.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry, Di I got a bit click happy there. Please delete/ ignore my first entry and look at my second instead x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely alternate colours which I just love. Good job I stopped by cos my post is scheduled so will have to nip in and change it cos I'mnot really here you know. Hugs mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the non patriotic colour scheme whilst still being very patriotic if you get what I mean lol. Oh those sew easy tools look lots of fun, I have a sewing machine for my cards but straight lines seem to escape me. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Di, much later to the playground this week and I've not only made a snippet card but I've entered it into the St Lukes charity challenge too ... well, what else could I do after reading your plea :)) Hugs, Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's cold here too....what's with this weather....that said, love your card. Great color choice...who knew you'd make a flag from pink :-) I have that tool, not been brave enough to use it yet...maybe I should practice on some snippets. Off I go... one trip down the slide and I'm running off to clean house. Have a great week! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Wow I love this Di! Fantastic colors and stunning design! Looks so much like a quilt.
    Fabulous roll call as always. Glad you are locking the gates early. You shouldn't have burn the midnight oil for our pleasure. Hope you have a wonderful time at your reunion. Careful about dancing on the tables, may spill your G & T. :)
    Gosh I miss Jules as well.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Ladies, I'm hoping to come play with you on the playground. Hope your rain has stopped, and all the toys are nice & dry. Love this card, and agree with Bernie. It looks like the softest quilt. How clever to use the Union Jack to make such a soft & appealing quilt. Happy Jubilee I say! And I hope I made it in before the gates closed! :-) TFS

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for letting a new girl come and play in your playground. It's been lots of fun! I love this Union Flag - a really clever way to use up some snippets!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Finally got the link up to work. Strange country , iffy connection and bad coverage. Glad when I'm back home. i don"t think!!! management of hotel is keeping beady eye on me cos I have straightened all the pictures hanging on the walls in the dinning room. had to move the other guests outta the way at the time. Guess not is a good time to tell em the flag flying down by the poolside is upside down!!!! Hugs Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
  23. I came here from Victoria. I'll have to come back and check this out in more detail when I have more time, but I just had to stop and say you do an outstanding and humorous write-up. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  24. There we go Miss! Linked up now Miss! Thank you for telling me Miss! Have a good flight and not too much vino Miss!
    Hugs
    Hettie
    xx
    P.S. Don't forget you still have the ironing to do when you get back! Hee Hee! Mind you, you might be better going naked in this weather as it will save you having to dry soggy clothes!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.