Sunday 26 August 2012

Pixie's Crafty Snippets Challenge - 35

As always, firstly my own snippets offering for the week:
And it all started off with this:
Leftover wrapping paper (from Sainsburys) which I'd used for a Birthday present about a month ago. I figured that as snippets here can be anything from paper, card, lace, wool etc. then wrapping paper leftovers counted as well.

I used:

- 6" x 7" white card stock

- one whole pattern of the wrapping paper, backed with double sided sticky film and layered onto a snippet of white card, which was then trimmed down. Unless the wrapping paper you use is really strong stuff it's all too easy to accidentally crease it. Then, another pattern of the paper was stuck onto white paper so that the birdhouse, birds and a couple of flowers could then be snipped around and used as decoupage

- the pink backing card and aqua blue to die cut the swirl (Marianne) came from the snippets folder

- sentiment is from Banana Frog's 'Shake your tail feathers' set, stamped using SU's 'Baja Breeze'

- Josy Rose nail heads just to finish off


So, without any more ado, onto the roll call:

Mary Mac nipped in first this week, her first offering is such a lovely nostalgic card - and could just be us lot having a tea party in the Playground :) So adorable, although I doubt if we'd be as clean after rolling round in the muddy puddles!  And, on a return visit, Mary brought us an adorable layout/card using super papers and such a cute elephant too. I did say to Mary that if a sheet is cut into, even a 12" one it's a snippet! The words are lovely and I did smile at all the love put into this. Do remember that Mary has some great blogaversary candy coming up soon so if you hop over and comment you'll be in with a chance. And I'm sure the candy will be brilliant, I have a lovely paper pack here on my desk from Mary and she has great taste - thank you again Mary!

Amanda hopped in twice this week as well, and the first time she brought a really brilliant card - I love the HM stamp (but of course) and those papers are gorgeous.


Of course I enlarged and just love the Elzybells sentiment - 'non binding agreement' is so apt - go and check for yourselves :) And then, on Friday, a delightful Wedding card was waved from the swings for us to see - it's so pretty, and just perfect for a special couple. Love the glittering on the bodice and head dress Amanda!

It was great to see Maggie C come to play, after a bit of an absence. Weeks and weeks in fact! Maggie's card is such a beauty, featuring a cocker spaniel (one of my favourite dogs) - and the overall effect is lovely, just look at the way the spaniel is looking sideways at you :) Maggie also talked about quality, both of sewing machines and stamps in her post. I'm with her 100% on both topics - I know that free clear stamps with magazines are a lure but they don't always live up to expectations, and even some you buy are disappointing. Thanks for the thoughts Maggie - I still have my Mum's sweet little portable Singer sewing machine in the cupboard here and I bet it would work like a dream with a service.

Linby was next - with this really elegant card, featuring shoes made using snippets and paper piecing - absolutely fabulous too. I did laugh when Julia (Mrs Dunnit/Queen of WOYWW) remarked 'nothing can take your mind of life's problems like a pair of tight shoes...'. Apparently she has a sentiment stamp with that on - how flipping perfect! Back to those lovely shoes though, YES, the pink one is mine for sure Lynn...................and the rest of you can fight over the others now in the dressing up box.

Sandra H arrived next to play, with such a pretty scenic Christmas card. I love all the pink you used Sandra (well, I would say that regardless but it's truly gorgeous) - just perfect too for the In The Pink challenge and Hazel's Christmas Card Challenge which was to feature a building or part of a building. Love the church stamp you used and the sparky snow is lovely - like the idea of colouring the conifers lightly with green too, I was too rushed to do that with my entry :)

Victoria's snippets make for this week is here - it's for Less Is More as well and (in my humble opinion) is a winner. Do go and look - and perhaps nip to the loo first. I did giggle at what Victoria confessed to having done - and I just bet we've all done similar, or worse, at some time or another. The theme of trees started off some ideas - only for a flipping tree house in the playground now! Of course, this started a little flurry of excitement from the usual 'suspects' so I now have an eye constantly open for the arrival of a lorry load of mixed wood off cuts! Thanks Victoria, nice bit of 'winding up my big key in the back' there :)

Next was Lynn A, who came back to play so we must have been nice to her :) And do take a look at this really elegant card - it's absolutely lovely, the mix of cream, brown and 'plummy pink' work fantastically together! A lot of the goodies are SU, which we all seem to be really loving right now, and I think you did an amazing job Lynn - the antique brad is the perfect finishing touch! Be sure to come back next week - and it's lovely to see that some of you playmates hopped over to say hello to Lynn. When you first start out glogging (snort, I mean Blogging) it can sometimes be a bit lonely :(

Aha, and now we have 'Mrs Rudolph Day' herself - our Sarn, who is running Rudolph Day right now. To check it out, if you don't already know, hop over here. This week Sarn brought two cards to show at once - both made using snippets from the 'yellow and green piles'. Both are really lovely cards - butterflies on the first and a tree as the main image on the second card. As always, two super cards Sarn! And I bet the snippets piles aren't going down at all.

Then Sam came to show her makes from snippets this week, three times in fact. First with this great Christmas card, complete with removable tag - such a great idea too! Lovely to include a tag which can be recycled by the recipient next year. Next was such a bright and cheerful Birthday card - along with the question about whether we'd have a kettle in the tree house. I did reply that we'd have a toaster if required :) And finally, the most deliciously gorgeous 'inky techniques' card for Sam's Dad - wonderful colours there Sam and the slight sparkle is beautiful.

Brenda was next, with such a happy Christmas card. Super little penguins, so beautifully coloured too – and how well the papers all go together along with those beautiful snowflakes. A really great card, as I said, everything goes together so well, right down to the bakers twine - I love it Brenda! I'd love to have free run of your stamp collection.

We had two visits from Laura, firstly with a delightful monochrome card, featuring the sweetest bird, beautifully coloured to go so well with the backing paper. It's lovely Laura and such a kind thought to send it to your Great-Uncle and partner - hope they're getting over the accident now. Next was a really great card using such wonderful buttons, paper and pearls, The result is so CAS Laura - and I think you did a brilliant job!

Bernie managed to visit twice this week too - firstly with this great selection of Birthday cards. Lots of embossing and stars Bernie - they look so clean and fresh too. There's also an update on Jim's progress ion the posting Bernie did. And next, with two absolutely gorgeous cards - I love both of them - Bernie returned with news of a bit of a catastrophe which resulted in Jim ending up in hospital A&E being stitched up after a spectacular fall out of bed. My knees went weak reading about it - and it seems as if Bernie's heart might just have stopped galloping by now - hope things improve Bernie. Sending love and hugs from all of us in the Playground!

We only had one visit from Hazel this week, which was very unusual. But, what a stunning card - I totally love it Hazel, and the background paper really fooled me at first - I thought you'd be making patchwork from your snippets :) Of course, being pink (combined with lovely lime green) it ticks all the boxes :) I just had a good scroll through Hazel's blog and it seems there's a combination of camera problems and internet issues conspiring right now - ain't it always the way. Just so long as those shingles are now behaving Hazel!

Next was Darnell, who always cracks me up - a very funny lady :) And this is the card that Darnell brought to wave at you - well, what d'you think peeps? Isn't it so flipping clever - just torn card, a sentiment stamped and the coolest flip flop brad ever!! Snort, someone commented about thongs (as I believe flip flops are called in the USA) and I primly did have to point out the following in my comment: I hope you aren't posting rude photos for the playground, in the UK, thongs are NOT flip flops - they are itsy bitsy panties that quite frankly wouldn't hold a pantie liner and also your rear end would most likely look like two little boys fighting under a blanket - as my Dad would have said. Probably not even under the blanket. Standards do have to be maintained Darnell - mind you, if you bring some of those luscious looking tomatoes from your garden for our next Playground picnic all will be forgiven :)

Crumbs, thankfully I don't think our next and newest little playmate will be able to read this roll call on her own - may I please introduce you to The Pony Girl, who is almost six years old. She does have some help with her blog but do hop over to say hello and to see her lovely snippets card, featuring of course - a lovely pony! Such a pretty card too. Her Grandma does help a bit but I think we have a very talented young lady who is eager to join in the fun of crafting and blogging - welcome to our newest little friend :)

Next was Mary H, still recovering from the long healing it takes after an Achilles repair - but still cheerful. And, what a fabulous card she brought to show us, it's an underwater scene with a ton of work having gone into making it - so much that you really do have to go and see for yourselves, I can't really begin to describe the amazing colouring and the water movement captured by you Mary. It's a real work of art - one surely to be framed!

Bonnie scampered in next - and it was her first time to come and play as well. Wow, what a gorgeous card Bonnie, the colours are so good together, I love the butterfly with the pearls and absolutely love the idea of adding knotted ribbon when a bow would look too fancy. I love using ribbon and this is such a brilliant idea. Hope you come and play again, I see some playmates have been to say Hi already - they sometimes drive me nuts with their mad schemes for the Playground but they really are the very best bunch of crafters ever. By the way girls, Bonnie is another SU demonstrator with some great ideas on her blog - err, and she also likes House Mouse, Brenda :) Yup, I've been having a good snoop !

Then Elizabeth arrived with three cards altogether - and all Christmas cards too. So cleverly made by recycling Christmas cards (or as Sarn says Upcycling - sounds rather posher maybe) and each one, featuring a Winter scene, is really beautiful Elizabeth. Haddon Hall is one of my favourite buildings too - a long time since I last visited though. I feel the urge for a little break in more Northerly parts of the UK coming on!

Edit: I meant to mention that a few regulars have been missing in action this last week, Irene's comment just now reminded me. I think Irene joins in almost every week so let's hope she'll be back playing next week. And one really notable 'truant' is the lovely Jules, who is currently snowed under with wedding orders and other exciting stuff . Jules started the snippets challenge in the first place and this is possibly her very first week she's been unable to join in - it's brilliant that her work is so much in demand (not even leaving her enough time for blogging right now, let alone coming to play in the playground). Hope to see you soon!

Phew, that's this week's roll call done - it's Saturday here as am typing and pitch dark as the heavens just opened, Ooops, need to go and turn the slide on its side so you don't get soaked when the Playground opens again :) Wet drawers are no fun!

Have a great week, keep using those snippets - the playground is open all week and will close on Saturday 1st September at noon, UK time. I bottled out of the hairdressers after all - figured that there was no way she would just snip a tiny bit off even if I begged. So I'm going to take the scissors just to my fringe, hoping I don't end up with a slalom effect.

Mr Linky is below as usual.

Di
x

The only conditions to playing nicely in the Snippet Playground are that your card (or anything else you wish to bring here to show) must be made by using up snippets (card, paper, lace and ribbon are all fine), and a link back to here in your own blog posting will mean that you'll be included in the Weekly Roll Call. Oh, and no nipping or hair pulling of course :)

26 comments:

  1. Di, your card is just so sweet! What a brill idea for using up wrapping paper, now I'll be on the lookout for interesting designs from my local Saino's! Any excuse to buy pretty things!!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card - doing a bit of upcycling yourself with this gorgeous wrapping paper and including great tips for the use of :) The flourish is beautiful - love the colour. I'll be back some time tomorrow - after my trip to the craft centre of course - to for a game of skipping in the playground :)) Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant use of the wrapping paper.All that cutting out so painstakingly done. What a trouper.
    The bottle tops wos all from The Doc's beer. Accohol never passes my lips!%@~Oops just had to type that one handed cos the other wos behind me back! Got soaked on Friday walking back to the car after going into town. The Doc said "Why are you getting wet, where is your rainmack?" Good point where wos it. A quick think cos the rain was dribbling down me neck and I realised I had left it in the hairdresses in town 1/2 mile away! (Yep we walk for miles sometimes just to get a cheap parking spot).Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece of recycling/upcycling Di. Love the little swirly die you snuck in too.

    Happy Sunday.

    Thanks for the Roll Call and for the plugs.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant use of wrapping paper Di, I love the colours and design.
    I can't believe I missed a card for the Snippets challange ( must be my senior age creeping up on me LoL)

    Will do better this week.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to use the wrapping paper - super snippets card. Yes, camera problems and internet down don't go well together, but I also confess that I seem to have been cutting into quite a lot of new papers (so there are now more snippets than ever in my boxes!). Not been feeling too brilliant for the last few days - John reckons my body is still reacting to having had shingles - not sure that he's right - think it might be the tablets that are supposed to help deal with it - bit like a vicious circle! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Di, this is soooo pretty and what a fantastic use for leftover wrapping paper, you clever girl.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh don't forget bout me, another awol player this week but i'll be back next week, hic!

    Lovely card Di, great idea to use gift wrapping, l always have little bits leftover!

    Welcome new play-grounders, its a great place to play xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Di - I love this Snippets card - I would never have thought it was wrapping paper. What a clever idea.

    There is only one problem with your Snippet's Roll Call - you get so easily distracted! It doesn't take a lot for me though and then I'm off at a tangent. I was quite happily looking at all the 'entries' when realised I had been sitting here for ages! There are some lovely designs with what amounts to 'bits'!! Soo bloomin' talented.

    Hugs to you Sue P xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh I am first this week! Love your card, wrapping paper costs so much you certainly need to re use it if you can, and it makes for a lovely card.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Di, Your fingers must be sore after all this typing and thank you for your lovely comments again as always, another great card Di and brilliant idea l'll need to try this one l have too got lots of left over papers have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Roll there Miss! Will be over to check the blogs out later! Trying to play catch up here in my room!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh soz Di - I've just re-read my comment and I didn't mean that YOU get distracted I meant to say that I do - as in "the only problem is you get distracted when you are ....." Hope you see what I mean. I was totally into your roll call - I was so busy hopping from one card to another that 'I' was totally distracted and forgot how long I'd been sitting there. I love it - don't change it whatever you do. It's brilliant 'cos you tend to find blogs that you haven't come across before. Oh I do hope I haven't offended you - 'cos I never meant to - this is what I mean about me going off on a tangent - I am such an airhead - Planetsusie suits me right down to the ground.

    Lots of bigs hugs to you and a big sorry! Sue P xxxx (Airhead)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's the GREMLINS! Now I can comment. Lovely card, and I like what you did with the gift paper. So pretty & pink-y...this is a great idea, and thanks for sharing it. Will have to try this with the Xyron I've not used and some pretty wrapping paper I bought just to try this technique. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute card and what a wise idea to use up the gift wrap!

    Little Miss C (aka The Pony Girl) was very excited to have me read her mention on your blog.
    Not sure if she gets that not all the other bloggers are so much older. teehee
    She just loves to craft...My daughter has gone back to work full time. Mil and I share four days a week of the childcare. I now do Tuesdays and Thursdays...Miss C was delighted that she now has 2 days a week after school to craft!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabby card Di and a brilliant way to use up your gift wrap.
    Catch up later.
    Lynne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another spectacular roll call! What a great reuse of wrapping paper! Who says it can't be used in crafting? I can report the wood for the treehouse has arrived and construction is in progress. There have also been rumours of toasting marshmallows on the campfire at the foot of it. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What an amazing Roll call! A stunning card from yourself as well, Di. LOVE the little bird house x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Di, long time no see. Hope you're well. Love your snippet make this week, the wrapping paper looks fabulous. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the birdie house Di -- did I detect a hint of pink there ?!, lol. A brilliant use of wrapping paper. Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great use of wrapping paper Di and so pretty too. Reminds me of treehouses lol, I will hopefully be around a bt more this week to visit all the lovely playmates. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Di

    Sorry for playing "truant" .. .. life got a tad super busy there just for a while but I am now back in control (hope they aren't going to be famous last words LOL!!).

    Pleased to see the playground is still busy though.

    My snippets will be out today to make amends!

    Love your wrapping paper card .. .. super sweet!

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thought you might like some flowers for the Playground!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey again, just checking to see if the Gremlins be gone. I did a Halloween card, wiz lotsa snippets.. and maybe I've propitiated them for the moment (did I spell that right???Anyway, maybe I made an offering to the gremlins..they seem to be letting me post ok today!) Can I please play today...promise to play nicely!!!) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just added my latest snippet makes to the link and realised that it's my third visit this week - I amaze myself some times :)) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Di. Thanks for the kind words. I came to the party, but I was late and you'd all left. Hopefully, I'll make it on time next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.