Sunday 28 April 2013

Pixies Crafty Snippets Playground - Week 70

Crumbs, we're up to week 70 since I took the Playground keys over from Jules - hard to believe how the time has flown by - and long may it continue flourish as well.

My snippets card for this week was made using a new technique to me - it's a 'Joy Fold' card, as shown in this month's Quick Cards Made Easy magazine, inspired by and following an article written by no other than our Patron and Playground founder Jules :) It's almost like two cards with the smaller one acting as a fold over the main card and it's a great way to use up snippets - if you can't find a copy of the magazine there are lots of tutorials on the internet. Here's just one if you want to have a play:


Closed.
And open.

I used:

-  5.5" x 5.5" square white card stock with the front half sliced off vertically down the centre

- 4" x 4" square white card stock - left intact, and made up so that the fold is on the right hand side

- LOTV pre-coloured Wedding image from their Cute Squares, now discontinued which is a real shame as they were such a useful size

- papers from Wild Rose Studio's 'Wedding Bells' paper pack. Some of these were snippets :)

- snippets of light grey and pinky mauve Core'dinations card

- the pinky mauve hearts border was punched using Martha Stewart's 'Lace Heart' edge punch

- inside the 'smaller card fold' I added a die cut heart, using the pinky mauve card and a Marianne Creatables LR0159 heart die - any message can be written on the inside flap of the smaller card as I left it blank

- the final touches were a pinky mauve corner, die cut using one of my favourite Whimsy corners dies - and a little heart between the two doves, salvaged from the punched out border

Sigh, I wrote all of this on a scrap of paper as I was making the card - then promptly lost the piece of paper, after putting everything away I'd used! I just bet that bit of paper will turn up in the snippets folder sometime in the future - although I've checked the relevant colour slots so it must be well hidden.

That's my offering, and now onto yours which are much more important. As always there are some fabulous makes, in fact they all are and I'm always blown away by your inventiveness and super-skills.


How about this for a lovely splash of sunshine - made by Gilly and such a fun use of snippets.
A technique that's brilliant for using snippets, iris folding made by Kate. I know that some people say they don't have the patience but with such a stunning result I think it's well worthwhile.
Bonnie made several of these cards, and another great way to use up snippets - such impact even if you use just a few little pieces.

A fabulous piece of patchwork from Irene. After 'The Great British Sewing Bee' on TV I can see a few folk doing more sewing. And Irene threw down a challenge for me to finish off some hexagon patchwork cushion covers........I started making them over 30 years ago when Laura Ashley were in their prime first time round! Just need to search them out and I'll be there Irene :)
Of course I had to include this beauty from Mary Mac - great use of snippets plus it's pink, what's not to love?

And, I have to say, there is an absolute star of the week:
This canvas really blew me away - made by Sam (aka Hettie) as a very special Birthday gift - isn't it absolutely fabulous?!

OK, my aching back is telling me to move on, although I could keep going as every time I click on a thumbnail I think, there's another one to include! So, do please check out last week's entries.

OK, drum roll - onto the draw for the Arboscello Tree die that so many of you either had or longed for. Oh boy, I wish I had several of these to give away but there's only the one - and the winner is:

Well done Maureen, entering three times certainly did increase your chances! Do please show us what you make using the die and can you just drop me an email with your snail mail address and I'll post the die to you pronto! My email is di_wray@hotmail.com
 
Maybe this week's little prize will again be no surprise - two in one this week and it's a pack of the Wedding Bells papers I used today, plus a set of those lovely Whimsy corner dies which are so useful, not too big either - probably about 1" or so.
The Playground is open all of this coming week, will close on Saturday 4th May  at noon UK time and Mr Linky is below as usual. Just enter a snippets make into the Playground this week and I'll do a draw after the Playground closes next Saturday.
As usual I am asking for a snippets make please, maximum of three entries and please say 'No thank you' in a comment if you wish to still play but not be a winner of  the papers and die corners.

Enjoy the rest of the week! Me and Mr Nurofen are big mates once again - sigh.

Di
x

34 comments:

  1. Hi Di, I seem to be making a habit of chomping at the bit for the playground gates to open!! I love your wedding card, it sounds a bit tricky but looks well worth it. This is a card to be treasured!

    Fabulous showcase again, congrats to everyone :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Di - Cathy [my sister] just rang me to tell me to visit your blog for a surprise and WOW - I am sooooo excited and thankful to win the tree die for my last turn in the playground - Thank you so much - Hugs Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cards
    love them all,
    yours is fabulous Di,
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blown away by your beautiful wedding card - and love all the other projects you've shown, so many talented crafters. Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another run in the playground - yay!! I am happy not to be included in the prize draw Di - I don't want to be greedy... Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely lovely Snippets card Di. I love that style of card.

    CONGRATS to Maudieroff on winning the prize.

    Happy Sunday.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Di! Your wedding card is beautiful!! Love the fold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card, Di. I hadn't seen this 'Joy Fold' before but it lovely and I like the colours too. Love the projects you've chosen to showcase this week, especially Sam's canvas - gorgeous - and the hexagon cushion cover. It must be nigh on 20 years since I did any patchwork and the mention of Laura Ashley reminded me of a throw I stitched, not hexagons, just plain old squares, in LA prints. I wonder what happened to it ... I suspect it is stowed away in my daughter's attic!!! Look forward to seeing your completed cushion covers eventually :)) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Afternoon Di, congrats to the winner and the showcased projects are wonderful - love the canvas. I've a box of Liberty fabrics that I plan to retrieve this summer along with my sewing machine! I'll be back later with an entry or two Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing card you made, Di! I'll have to have a go at that technique. So many to try, so little time!

    As always, I loved your highlights, well done!! Thank you so much for the 70 Playgrounds you've hosted so well for us and best wishes for many more!! xxoo Darnell

    (No thank you to the treats.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful and stunning Wedding card Di, soft gentle colours and a brilliant design.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic card Di, great idea and love the papers and a brilliant shaped card and not to mention the great LOTV image.
    Your snail mail arrived the day before we set off and I can't remember if I had the time to say thanks but just in case I didn't
    THANK YOU SO MUCH.

    Hey guess what, first time in my life I have been stopped by Customs, thank goodness everything was fine, and had receipts to prove it, the Woman was totally perplexed, and to be quite honest a bit p----- off that she had drawn a blank.

    Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one beautiful card Di. Well worth all the fiddling and faffing!
    Some beautiful cards you have showcased and specially like the bee!
    Well done on 70 playground hostings! We shall have to name a tree after you (as well as a Chook!)
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A card within a card . I love it . Perfick. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Di! What a gorgeous wedding card! Love the design! Sorry I haven't been to the playground recently. surgical stockings and work are seriously hindering my craft life!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Di

    Time to leave my comment now .. .. it was a "post and run" jobbie yesterday!

    Your joy fold card is gorgeous .. .. love the cute image and papers .. .. plus I found the heart!!

    70 weeks of playground fun .. .. I am so pleased you agreed to take the keys over. You have done a fantastic job and have made the playground a great fun place to visit and sparked off so many special friendships. Thanks Di!!

    You are a star.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Di, I'm new to blogland (as of yesterday) and this is my very first entry to the Snippets Challenge so hope it's ok. I'm looking forward to taking part in many more challenges. Thanks Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your joy fold card Di - I'm still waiting for a chance to try this!

    Great snippet makes this week - I love the canvas!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your beautiful card is SO romantic and lovely Di! A lovely take on a joy-fold card!
    And congrats to all those great snippet entries! I just adore that hexagon pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just scraped in with a Rudolph card...off to the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've just realised that I've reached my quota for the playground already this week, Di. It's just not like me to be so organised ... I think I'll have to lie down in a darkened room for a while :)) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Big Congratulations to Maudieroff Roffey. That's a super die to win, and you will just love it! Miz Pixie, your wedding card is just fabulous, done in such pretty colors. Love the heart border and the diecut heart inside. I've got that fold tut bookmarked. I need to learn how to do this. So very pretty and your recipient is going to love it too. TFS, and sure hoping the back gets better real soon. No fun atall. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shall I make the coffee then!!!
    No thankooooo kindly to going in the draw. Hugs mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Di talk about dopey put my post up and forgot to link over..

    ..so here I am a tad late but lot earlier than other times :D


    ...and do love your card too and all other makes too! love the Iris one too one day going to try that as Neet gave me book on it and bought the papers and you know the rest :D
    love Shaz in oz.x

    PS yes, I do that with scraps of paper too!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for inspiring me to use up my snippets Di - I do so love that word, much better than left over's lol! Two entries, one yesterday and one today mayber another tomorrow lol, hope you're having a fab week Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Finally made it back again with another card that has been in progress, finally finished it! Whew, NOW I can try to get around to see all these delicious thumbnails that I'm seeing here. So many pretty things to enjoy. Thanks for doing the background work that makes all this creativity sharing possible. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah, at last, I got around to check out larger views & read the specs (and laugh at the stories) on all that have entered at this time. Thanks to ALL of you for a wonderful while in Blogland this afternoon. So many pretty & lovely cards to enjoy & get some inspiration. What a wonderful group to be blessed in being a part of the Playground community! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your card is gorgeous Di - I am going to try a joy fold card too - I think Jules may have started a new trend! Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your joy fold card. Wonder why it's called that? Will have to have a go if I ever manage to get back to craft room. This cleaning, gardening and decluttering has a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your wedding card - very stylish. Thanks for reminding me to join in the Playground again x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Another one for the wall Miss! Hope you like this one too!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Phew, made it through the gates on time . . . here I am . . . she said waving her pink card about!

    Lovely prize Di . . . but I already have too many papers etc, so I'll say no thanks to it! You're surprised by this I know!!!!!

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Back for the final time Di - you really inspired me this week, dug out all those old pieces of snippets and managed to get several cards made for me and my mum - thank you for inspiring me! Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mr Linky doesn't seem to like me today. Perhaps he's annoyed that I haven't brought a note from my mum for being absent for so long... Never had a problem with him before!
    Anyway, I'd still like to join in the fun with my picture frame which is here: http://furrytalecardsandcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/baby-picture.html
    Corrr, you make that joy fold card look easy. I get put off by anything vaguely complicated, i.e. more than just one fold! I'm impressed!
    Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.