Friday 5 July 2013

Friday Feast - Di's Prawn Stir Fry

We both love stir fries, but recently, Len began to 'crumble' a bit about me using ready prepared sauces in sachets or jars to make the process super fast. So I've been experimenting by making up my own, just generally grabbing stuff and having a play whilst tasting as I go and no two have been the same but Monday evening I did manage to write down a list of ingredients and quantities for one version:
Di's Prawn Stir Fry

360g raw king prawns - shelled
5-600g mixed stir fry vegetables, less is fine, we just like lots of veggies!

Sauce:

1 long red chilli pepper
Piece of fresh ginger - size about 2" x 1"
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon plum sauce
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce (or dark if that's all you have but it's stronger in flavour so you might want to reduce the quantity a little)
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 semi-rounded tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon warm water

De seed the chilli and peel the ginger. Either chop very finely or blitz in a small food processor (mine is made by Kenwood and is really dinky and so easy to clean).

Add all the rest of the sauce ingredients and either blitz again or stir well.

In a wok or large frying pan stir fry the prawns in a little oil (I use light olive oil and no more than a tablespoon, if that) until pink.

Add the vegetables and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.

Add the sauce and heat through thoroughly whilst moving around the wok continuously.

Serve with boiled or steamed rice - and prawn crackers if you want to be naughty :)

A finely chopped clove of garlic is a nice addition to the sauce - and am sure there are tons of options to try out, so watch this space. And if you can't get hold of uncooked prawns then defrosted frozen cooked ones work fine, just don't overcook them as they might go tough.

Enjoy!

Di
x


12 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Di, nice & healthy too. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy Di. We eat lots of stir fry :-)
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! DH is a meat and potatoes kind of guy so will save this one to try when he is off fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! That looks gorgeous, definitely having a go at this one. Thanks for sharing Di.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have missed your Friday feasts Di. I will have to test out this sauce it sounds yummy! x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmn. What time do I come round then?
    It has been a while since your friday cookings have been here.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I say Di - this has gone straight into my Recipe Folder - alongside the Pickled Lily!

    This looks gorgeous.

    Hugs Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just added a final entry at the playground and now I'm hungry Miss!
    The boiled cabbage and ham was so gross today that I skipped lunch - please can I have some of yours Miss?
    Hugs from the loony in Northants Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good but not one I will be trying, love prawns but feel they are wasted used in dishes, salt and vinegar are all they need, in my humble opinion.
    Not heard from you for ages, have I upset you? I certainly hope not.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Di, l often make a stirfry with prawns and this one looks yummy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.