Monday 2 September 2013

Golden Wedding card

A little while ago I blogged about making an Acceptance card to a Golden Wedding celebration back here. The big event was on Saturday just gone and this is the card I made:
Having said I really didn't (probably ever) want to tackle another card based around a photo, Len then came up with a black and white Wedding photo of the happy couple - sigh. But, it was going to be unique I guess, so off I went to incorporate it into a card - not an easy task as it was one of those group photos with relatives all huddled together on either side of the bride and groom. I scanned the photo, applied sepia effect then resized it umpteen times so I could use a die to cut just the couple out of the photo. Not only that, the matt photo paper I was using was a devil to work with - one tiny blemish of sticky and that was it, no way could it be removed even using my sticky stuff eraser - it took four attempts to get a perfect result. You can imagine the air was just a tad blue here!

I used:

- 6" x 6" square cream card stock

- gold mirri card for the next layer, topped with another square of cream card stock

- the heart was cut using Memory Box's 'Bingham Heart' die - a lovely gift from ScrappyMo when she was over here. I die cut it first using gold mirri card and then a second time using cream card stock - in a moment of total madness. The little flowers and stars were then snipped one by one from the cream die cut and popped onto the matching flowers etc on the gold die cut - and a few little gold coloured gems were added. By which time my eyes were crossed and my head was thumping from concentrating :(

- the infamous photo was die cut with a Nesties oval and backed with a gold mirri card frame cut using a Nesties beaded oval die before being popped on top of the heart using sticky pads

- the numbers 5 and 0 were die cut from gold mirri card using a Britannia Dies 'Number Set' and added to one corner

- my in-house critic agreed that the other three corners looked a bit bare so I added corners, die cut from gold mirri card using a 'Whimsy Corner Die Set'

And then, the same in-house critic said that a hand made envelope would be a nice touch - as he dodged a flying paper trimmer:

I used:

- 12" x 12" sheet of card from DCWV's 'Preppy Princess' paper stack, made into an envelope using with my trusty Crafter's Companion Enveloper board

- more gold mirri card, die cut with with a Spellbinders flourish label die

- an oval snippet of cream damask card

- initials cut from gold mirri card with a Britannia upper Case alphabet die

- but, none of my dies came with an ampersand  - sigh - so I just added a teeny little 'wedding rings' peel off :)

And the verdict was - they absolutely loved it! Yay, so worth all those hours of work.

This is for the current challenge over at Cuttlebug Mania, which is to use dies, anything goes. I just squeaked in at the very last minute too! There are some fabulous entries already so I'm certainly not holding my breath here.

Di
x

21 comments:

  1. This is stunning Di, beautiful and classy. I actually love using photos on cards for special events. I especially like the sepia and b&w ones. Don't think I've ever tried anything quite as exquisite as yours though. I bet the happy couple will treasure it. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your hard work has definitely paid off, Di, this is a fabulous card! Well worth all the effort!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic card
    love it
    congrats to copuple
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sensational card, Di! It was so worth all that hard work. It's obvious that a lot of care and time and attention went into making it. They will treasure it!! But that Len, he had better keep up the leg exercises in order to duck low and avoid flying objects!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous card! You did a fabulous job with that die. I
    like the wee flowers with the metallic vine!
    I'm with Len...the handmade envelope is wonderful...whoops, I just dodged a flying object...using the wedding rings instead of an ampersand was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's lovely Di, and so very personal to them. I love the double cut heart. Definitely worth the effort. I have just bought the number dies to go with my letter set. They are a bit 'skinnier' than I expected, but they will be so very useful. Much nicer than a peel-off. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the elegant look of your card. Very beautiful! Hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. But so worth the effort, Di! I'm sure they will cherish this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely elegant card Di.... matt photo paper is a b****r to work with - and the glossy stuff is just as hard too! You've made a great jopb of this though and incorporating the pic into the heart was inspired! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. All your efforts produced a stunning and elegant card that will surly be treasured till the end of time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my Di, no wonder they loved it it's gorgeous. Well worth the effort for such a personalise card x

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I forgot to say thanks for playing along at Cuttlebug Mania this week x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Len eh! Does he like to live dangerously or WHAT?

    GREAT result though - even if it did prove a tad difficult in the making. Not surprised they loved it.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous card, especially as having a photo of the happy couple, how lucky was that. Love all the die cuts and especially the way you have used the Wedding rings as an 'and' fabulous idea.
    Well done Len too, for still being alive.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO elegant and gorgeous!!!! Fantastic job!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to work that photo software Di! This turned out quite stunning with all the gold accents and perfectly framed couple!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mission accomplished very successfully me thinks. The matching envelope was a must have additions too. Not gotten around to trying my envelope maker out yet. shame on me. So much else going on at the moment. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is gorgeous Di! I had to make one for a workmates parents Diamond Anniversary the air was blue here then too LOL huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is gorgeous Miss and well worth the effort. i am with Len - dont you dare throw anything harder then Parsnip at me! gotta give the man some credit!
    hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful personalised card, I have made a few photo cards and thought that would make it easier but somehow it makes it harder so well done on getting it perfect. Hugs, Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a stunning card Di - it would be one to use in the front a an album scrapbooking the anniversary celebration - oh do you scrapbook too??? LOL - Mxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.