Tuesday 10 September 2013

How to rescue a bad buy

Ages ago I bought some metal filigree corners for cards. Loved the silver but the gold looked just like cheap brass - sort of 'in your face' and not in the least bit suitable. So, they got stuck in a box of embellishments for what might have been the remainder of their time here - until I had a little thought about them last week.

I'd seen Bev Rochester's transformed metal embellishments for her cards, but couldn't find out just how she did it as I don't think she always explains her secrets. A good old dig around the internet and I found a way:
Here they are during the transformation.
And here's a before and after. Note how that Frantage stuff travels!

I used:

- the shiny brassy gilt filigree corners

- a VersaMark Watermark stamp pad

- a pot of Stampendous Frantage 'Shabby White' embossing enamel

- heat gun

- the longest tweezers I could find (6") and a non stick mat

I tipped about a third of the pot of Frantage into the lid of a box of cotton buds  and away we went. 

Take a filigree corner and press it into the stamp pad, on each side.

Dunk it thoroughly, both sides into the Frantage and tap off the excess.

Holding in the tweezers then heat first one side and then the other and watch the transformation happen.

Do NOT touch with your fingers, it'll be piping hot! After both enamelled sides have been 'melted', put it to one side on the non stick mat and carry on with the rest.

I only did eight ready to have on hand for a few Christmas cards, but there must be another 20+ waiting to be transformed. Yup, I truly did buy a shed load of those corners - which were set to go to waste.

Now? I totally LOVE them - and am ready to start playing round with some metal charms too. The tweezers now have enamelled points, so don't use your best ones by the way :)

Di
x

18 comments:

  1. Ooooh !!! Very cool - I LUV them ... a totally awesome 'save' :-D xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thay look amazing Di! think I'll have to have a play now
    hugs
    laney

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, of course, there's also alcohol inks to change the colour too ..... LOVE what you did with the frantage though.

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever girl.. gold star for you Miss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top marks for ingenuity. Love the change.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done you and isn't it lovely that most of us are willing to share how we do things.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look wonderful now!
    Will give this technique a try on some ugly butterflies I own...they are just too shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh you are clever! And thanks for sharing too. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great transformation x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great transformation and don't you just love it when you can use something that you didn't like because you have made it better.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great little makeover. Now I'm wondering what other unloved bits I have that could use that treatment. Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  12. They turned out pretty cool, but I actually like the gold too! You can also do the same thing with brads - hold them with tweezers, dip into the ink pad, then into the bottle of embossing powder, then heat them until the color melts! Good job:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant, Di! Top tip and a clever bit of alchemy :) And another use for Frantage, and yet another reason to spend more money, sigh. I have the turquoise Frantage set and don't use it as often as I should. I like Carol L's tip to do the same with brads. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Di,What a fabulous way to give them a new life! That is great stuff-you could change almost anything couldn't you?
    Thank you for taking the time to stop by my little Blog and say hello-and for letting me come to join in the fun,I will be coming to play very soon(and I will bring chocolate LOL!)
    Have a lovely day,Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a brilliant idea! It looks a bit fiddly though. Good job with not burning yourself... although maybe you did as you mentioned how hot it was. Oops! hope it heals soon?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness that does seem like an awful lot of work and not a little danger making the transformation. But they certainly are beautiful! I can't wait to see how these look on your cards! Be careful. Di, and don't burn yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a transformation have some frantage will have to have a go I think you could also use gilding wax to change metal? Best wishes ginny x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.