Monday 23 September 2013

Less is More, use felt or fabric

What?! I almost had palpitations when I saw this week's challenge over at Less is More, to use felt or fabric :(

And then I remembered that I did have some felt after all, in one of the Christmas goodies boxes. 'Sho nuff', I found some ordinary red felt with silver sparkle in it and also some self adhesive green felt. Red, green, green, red - it took just a few minutes to work out the limitations and way forward:
I used:

- 7" x 7" square white card blank

- Spellbinders Poinsettia die set to cut and layer the red felt part of the poinsettia, topped off with little gold gems. Then three leaves die cut from the green self adhesive felt - I love the way the veins really show up so well where they've indented the felt

- sentiment was stamped onto pure white card using Funstamps 'Best Wishes Message' stamp and Memento 'Northern Pine' ink pad. It was then covered with Woodware Ultra Sticky sheet and die cut using Nesties Labels Eighteen die, then the top part of the sticky was revealed before the whole thing was dunked into clear teeny tiny micro beads. Yeah right, I gawped at the way the beads had dulled the white down to almost cream - but plodded on by mounting the sentiment onto a snippet of green, cut using the same die as a template

- final touch was double embossed lines round the outside of the card

My 'in-house' critic likes it muchly ('very tactile' were his words) and doesn't think the 'off white' sentiment looks at all odd. Ha, I reckon that's 'cos I was getting ready to bake a cake when he saw it!

ALSO, this is for Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge where you have to 'stamp' this week (I checked with Hazel and a stamped sentiment is fine), plus it's also for Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra. 

Di
x

28 comments:

  1. Very tactile, indeed! I think the sentiment is perfect and the felt flower gorgeous! Love the scoring around the edges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool - that poinsettia is wonderful :-D

    Hugz
    IKE xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving all the different textures. It must look wonderful IRL as then you can really see the texture and beauty of the microbeads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabby card Di-love the touchy,feely element of the poinsettia :)
    Ah,the critic-yes,I have two of them here casting their beady little peepers over my shoulder( and they can easily be swayed with the promise of a cake or two LOL!)
    Have a good day,Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fab,love the use of beads and felt x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card Di, love all the texture and sparkle :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luscious! I think the in-house critic is right . . . cuz your photo makes me want to touch your card!

    And WHERE'S MY slice o cake then? Hmm?

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clean lines, makes a statement

    ReplyDelete
  9. a stunning card, shows what you find if you look lol
    Tilly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card Di. I'm still thinking what I can do for LIM!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Di,
    super card. I love the poinsettias die cut in that lovely glitter felt.
    The sentiment is fab too.
    I don't know if I could ever enter this challenge as I am always putting too much on my cards. lol. Can't seem to stop myself. lol.
    Have a wonderful crafty day.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card Di, love the felt pointsettia.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card Miss. Good idea to use felt.
    So I take it my slice of cake will be here at 3 pm then?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's gorgeous Miss, perfickly bootifool it is. Going to go through stuff to find some fabric Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Certainly glad you 'felt' the need to enter this challenge, brilliant card.
    Bake me a cake and I may say the off white looks good too, oops that sounds like I don't think it does, I find it so annoying that things that are classed as white don't look it when placed against other white products.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow ... the felt poinsettia really adds a lot of texture - love it!! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never tried using felt in a die cut. Dig you use a big shot for it.? Love the results you have here. Keep looking at my pot of beads. Must pluck up the courage to take the top off the pot but there has been enough carnage for one week already. Hugs Mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is simply stunning from top to bottom! I love every single detail!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Mr. had it just right...it makes you want to feel that pretty felt! My Southernisms (and Bonnie's) are rubbin' off on you, with that Sho'nuff stuff! Cute! Wish I could hear it with your British accent...LOL. I also thought your 'off-white' sentiment against the white background was a very subtle and nicely done touch. The slight difference in the shades made your sentiment stand out more, especially with the green faux matting. TFS such a lovely card. Hugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Morning Di.....Still not active in my craft room but able to do a little blogging as we still haven't moved in yet.....Truly beautiful another of your amazing and adorable creations xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely card, Di, and I'm in full agreement with your in-house critic - the sentiment doesn't look odd although I do understand your point of view too :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely and tactile, I love felt, it's great stuff, still remember making a felt fish pin cushion at school when I was about 8!! Another trick that isn't as fiddly to get a really glittery finish, is to cover the piece with Versamark ink and then emboss with a clear glittery EP. I use Time Holtz Holographic clear, it's really amazing. Hope you like the cake, the spice flavours really came out after a day or too, we finished it up at the weekend when we were camping. The weather was cooler but still beautiful and the cake tasted like Autumn in every bite!!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry, I seem to have overlooked commenting on this one earlier - it's a beautiful card - love the felt - another super entry for CHNC challenges x

    ReplyDelete
  24. You wouldn't think the cream would go against the white, but in this case, it is positively stunning, Di! If this doesn't get a showcase, it will be a shame! It is felt perfection and Len is right, so beautifully tactile! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the cream against the white actually Di, but it's the velvet-looking poinsettia that really grabbed my attention. Just stunning! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm really sorry I'm so behind the times in commenting on this fab card.
    It's really super.
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.