Friday 6 September 2013

Mistletoe but no wine

The whole time I was making this card, Cliff Richard singing 'Mistletoe and Wine' kept running through my head:
For once I managed to combine two, in fact three, of my favourite challenges with a single card - the first is Less Is More Week 135 where the girls want us to use a rubber stamp (check) as maybe do some water colouring (check).

Also, over at Hazel's Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge , Hazel asked for us to get inky and/or painty (check). And this is also for Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for September, where it's always 'Anything goes'.

I used:

- 5" x 5" square white card stock with an oval aperture which I die cut using a Nesties die. I then replaced the die inside the oval face down and paper pricked right round the oval using the outer edge of the die as a template. By some miracle the holes ended up joining up perfectly too - I was sure the last gap would be too close or too wide but Lady Luck was on my side for a change, yay!

- the mistletoe and the bow are from the 'A Little Bit Festive Mistletoe' set by Sheena Douglass. Coloured with Aqua Markers - and for the life of me I can't understand why I always just reach for Pro Markers as, with the aid of a waterbrush, the colours blended so well

- almost a crisis when I realised earlier on in the making that my biggest oval die meant a piece of mistletoe would be hidden at the bottom, but I just measured it within the oval on the card, drew a faint pencil mark either side of the offending piece of mistletoe and then snipped round to allow it to overlap

- after colouring the bow I snipped round it, ran a black Whispers pen round the edges then popped it in place on the card. Do not try this with a Pro Marker though 'cos it'll bleed, I learnt that hard lesson a while ago :(

- and of course I backed the inside of the front of the card with a snippet of white card to finish it off

I didn't add a sentiment, it speaks (or even sings) for itself probably? :)

Di
x

21 comments:

  1. Wonderful!!! I love how you cut the bow and the mistletoe to overhang the aperture! Brilliant!
    Still jet lagged as you can guess from the lack of activity on my blog!
    Finally almost through the mountain of ironing so soon there will be no excuse...time to get creating! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really pretty Di I can remember Cliff Richard being at No:1 with 'We Don't Talk Anymore' and me and the midwife were singing it as I was about to give birth LMAO huggles hun Sue xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the wine was in the glass at your side while you were making the card :-)
    I love Cliff too :-)
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card Di, love the image.
    Hope you have a fab weekend.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Total perfection Di.

    Hope Cliff's out of your head now! That could be just a TAD annoying!

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Di, the stamp is gorgeous as is your watercolouring.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beauty Di, I love the clean simplicity of this gorgeous Christmas card!! Clever design too! I seem to have caused a little ruckus with my cutting up stamps post oops, scared now that I've created some scissor monsters LOL LOL Thanks for dropping by :D hugs Gay x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card there Di! Love this stamp and I may just get mine out. Just choked on my jacket spud at Sandra's comment about Cliff!
    Happy Friday.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the mistletoe stamp (got me singing the song now!) - fab card - thanks for entering both CHNC challenges - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's gorgeous Di. I love the CAS lines of this and your colouring is spot on. Have a lovely weekend Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. An absolutely perfect and gorgeous CAS card. Love it, Di!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So elegant and beautiful card
    have a great weekend
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always make lovely cards, Di, but I think you've excelled yourself this time - I just love this one, it's beautiful. Oh, and now I'll be hearing Cliff singing away for the rest of the evening :) An earworm I could do without :)) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear, I think I would have abandoned the card, with that going round in my head.

    Love the way you have pierced the oval cut out, great image and the placement of it and the bow are brilliant.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Di,

    Lovely card! You are putting me to shame with all the Christmas cards you are making.

    I owe you an email....

    Hugs,
    to you and Len

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like your mistletoe die and brilliant idea to cut over the edge. I will have to forgo the wine at the mo. Nursing a nasty reaction to being bitten by something in the garden and am on strong pills from Drs to get swelling down. Hugs Mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning card, Di! Simply wonderful. Love the mistletoe stamp, but I can do without the Cliff song, lol! Was intending to make some christmas cards myself this morning, but am nursing a bruised knuckle (hope it is nothing worse!) from Karate last night after sparring with Sensei!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely love your gorgeous card.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  19. just lovely

    Thanks for joining us this week
    Jen x
    "Less Is More"

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great Christmas card. Thanks for joining us at CHNC Extra this month. Carol GD x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh, I must 'ave been sleeping in Sept to miss all these beauties I'm seeing tonight. I really like the out of the box cut you did with the stamp & your nestie, but I'm blown over by that so-even piercing around the aperture. Oh that is a hard thing for me to do,and you've done it so wonderfully here. Really sets off your lovely coloring on the image. TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.