Wednesday 11 September 2013

Resist stamping

Although I used the VersaMark Watermark stamp pad yesterday to cover and then enamel some gilt metal corners with Frantage, the real reason I bought the pad was to have a play with 'resist' stamping'.

I learned a few things along the way, including not to use a really detailed stamp otherwise it tends to just become a blur - this is one I did feel was OK though:
I used:

- 5" x 7" white card stock

- SU 'Tempting Turquoise' card behind the embossed layer and also to back the sentiment

- Penny Black 'Pin Striped' stamp, stamped with VersaMark onto Clarity coated/silk card and allowed to dry. Then it was rubbed over with Memento 'Teal Zeal' ink using a wedge shaped makeup sponge before being polished off with a piece of kitchen roll. NB. I didn't use embossing powder and heat set it, although that is an optional step extra of course, it was purely stamped with VersaMark and allowed to dry properly before going any further

- the image was then die cut using a Nesties Labels Eight die and an embossing tool run round the edge before removing the image from the die

- a piece of white card was embossed using Crafts-Too's 'Lattice folder. For those few who might not know, Couture Creations have at last re-issued their 'Tied Together' embossing folder - I actually really like both of them, the 'Tied Together' one has more elongated shapes whereas the Crafts-Too one is symmetrical

- a snippet of turquoise ribbon was then wrapped around the turquoise and white layers before attaching to the card front. I think this was about the very first ribbon I ever bought for card making, it has little silver swirls on it plus was wired, which is easy enough to remove

- sentiment is by Craftwork Cards, just popped onto a turquoise oval punched with SU's oval punch

- I then went a bit mad with turquoise gems in the other three corners :)

After making the image for this card I had another go with a different stamp using a TH blending tool with felt pad attached with velcro - it worked OK too but I do like playing with makeup wedge sponges. Err, and I suppose the dreaded brayer is still to be tried with this technique :(

Di
x

17 comments:

  1. Hi Di. Pretty image ... love this technique. I rarely heat emboss any more ... just to much mess for me. But then I miss out on these great techniques, so need to pull out the powders and try again. Thanks for the inspiration. Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this is so pretty. Love that look of the Teal Zeal...all swirly and pretty!

    I have a confession...I have never done any resist stamping of any sort...but you made this easy to follow. I like the look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has turned out so pretty, I love the colours you have used. It is a fun technique - I used it this week too

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous Di, beautiful colours. I must say that my heat tool and powders have been used a lot lately x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Di, this is lovely - this technique has worked perfectly with that super flower stamp. I've made white fluffy clouds in a blue sky using cotton wool and VersaMark - following Barbara Grey's demo - and even stamped a sentiment and inked over it - worked a treat too. So now that you've found your VersaMark legs, so to speak, there's no end to what you can do with this technique :) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    PS: I use brushes or sponge in preference to the brayer too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aarrrrgh . . . you mentioned the dreaded brayer! I'm running away!

    Not really . . . I'm still here . . . to say how fab this resist technique is and what a lovely blue card you've made.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just fabulous Di, brilliant job, love the colour.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty card Di-Such a beautiful colour and what a fabby technique :)
    Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Wonderful use of colour, that blue is gorgeous, such a pretty stamp too. I have done resist on more than one occasion but I don't think I've used my brayer to do it - will have to have a go at that one - thanks for the inspiration Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I've never tried resist stamping with just the Versamark before, I've always used embossing powders! Great tip and a beautiful card. Talking of embossing, absolutely LOVE the frantaged corners in the earlier post too! I can't say it's nice to be back! I'd rather be sitting on the beach still reading a good book!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there Di - this is very pretty - love that image! I did use more of a detailed stamp (not loads and loads of detail) with Versamark for this technique and found it was ok as long as I didn't press toooooo hard. I was chuffed with the result. Oh must say I lurve all the bling - definitely not too much!

    Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card. The turquoise is such a pretty colour. Sounds like you had fun making.
    As it is now 7 mins into the 12th,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. Have a lovely day. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  13. p.s. You can open your card now!!
    hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it! I haven't done that resist technique in forever. I do know about the don't use detailed stamps bit but I still find new ways to mess it up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous Di. Love the colour you have used. Not tried versamark but maybe I will now.
    Shut up! Yes I have used versamark - aaaaaages ago. Maybe I shall dig it out! My age!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.