Saturday 28 September 2013

Saturday Supper - Lemon and Thyme Chicken

Still really busy here and not doing much card making but I thought you might like a tasty recipe to try:
Lemon and Thyme Chicken:

Serves 4

3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
10 small shallots, peeled
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
15g fresh thyme, roughly chopped
2 small lemons, 1 sliced, 1 juiced
250ml white wine

Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a shallow saucepan. Season the chicken and shallots and, working in batches, fry the chicken until brown, then add the shallots. Add more oil as you go.

Place the browned chicken and shallots back in the pan and add the garlic, thyme, lemon slices and juice and white wine. Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes.

Transfer to the oven and cook for 35 minutes or until the chicken is golden, cooked through and no pink meat remains.

I made this the other evening and altered nothing, for once. Served it with new potatoes and fresh asparagus - very tasty, with a hint of North Africa about it. 

Normally I shy away from chicken thighs but have to say they're a much moister cut of chicken for this dish so I obeyed the recipe :) And, there's half of the result in the freezer for another day too.

Enjoy your Saturday, I can't believe how full the Playground has been this week and am faced with the weekly worry of which 'show and tells' to feature when I do the write-up this morning. Grin, maybe I'll just close my eyes, go to Mr Linky and stick a pin in the screen a few times :)

Di
x

17 comments:

  1. Um Yum. Sounds deleesh. You must be a fantastic cook. (well, I'm a fantastic recipe reader, does that count at all?) Your side dishes sound yummy too. Bet this was a big hit & clever you, to make enough to freeze for another meal when you're too busy to cook! TFS & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks delicious. and best of all, Mr Scrappymo, the worlds most picky eater will eat i ttoo, if I hide the wine bottle after! lol
    With any luck, there may not be any wine left!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hello Delia :)
    I will pass on the chicken today(being a veggie)thank you but will take a glass of the nice white hic :) :)

    I can't believe how many of my lovely new followers have come from the Playground-isn't that just fabby-what a lovely class of Playmated you have Miss.
    Hsve a lovely weekend,
    Nessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Playmated ??? PLAYMATES (and I haven't even touched the wine yet)!!
    Tee Hee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should hope NOT at 06:50 am in the morning Missie! No wine allowed until the sun is over the top of the Playhouse.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds good Di, and nice and simple for a busy day. I always 'double cook' so I have some meals in the freezer. I'm not a huge fan of wine in cooking, but I might have to give this one a try. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Di

    This looks utterly delicious.

    Good luck with the Playground write-up.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm mouthwatering! Regarding your question for CHNC challenge 144 - I'm flexible - you can count white, black, beige etc as one of the colours or you can add those as well if you have three other main colours - always a bit of flexibility! Look forward to seeing what you come up with. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy!! That is one delicious dinner! Wish I lived closer, I'd be over in a flash to help you finish off the rest of the pan! :) Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmn! Can you post over what is in the freezer please? It is cool enough now to arrive still cold!
    As for wine being over the playhouse, it is 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Time for a little tipple right now - flipping freezing right now!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep a plate warm for me, I'll be right over!! Yum-OH!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could eat this but would probably cut down on the garlic.

    Oh dear, just had a giggle, wonder if you thought I was going to say....

    I could eat this but would probably
    be sick afterwards.
    Oh well I found that really funny.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo this looks absolutely delicious Di huggles hun Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So......when will you start offering school lunches in the playground??? This sounds yummy, wonder if it will work with chicken breast, cos picky hubby won't eat meat on the bone. Have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Umm, lemon and thyme! We had roast chicken yesterday, first of the "season"! I have an old Asda roast chicken recipe where they thinly sliced lemons and carefully placed them under the skin before roasting. They also put lemon halves and a bunch of thyme in the cavity.

    HUgs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Di, lemon and thyme is a tasty combination - this looks pretty yummy and one to try. I have a Moroccan chicken dish that features lemons and it is delicious too. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.