Friday 20 September 2013

Sunflowers - golden days at the end of Summer

I love sunflowers, such happy flowers and they always make my heart sing. I was so lucky to be gifted some LOTV vouchers by a little group of friends (you know who you are, mwah!!) a while ago and have been hanging onto them like a little squirrel for ages. Finally I spent a voucher earlier this week and one of the items I bought was LOTV's Wild Flowers Art Pad. They come pre-coloured and imagine my delight when I found a fabulous sunflowers image. So I made this card:
I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card blank

- two shades of plain yellow Core'dinations card

- patterned papers from Echo Park's 'Hello Summer' double sided paper pad, including the chevron snippet

- image from LOTV's Wild Flowers Art Pad (pre-coloured of course!), die cut with a Nesties Labels Eighteen die and an embossing tool run round the edge before removing the image from the die. The backing yellow frame was hand cut as usual

- no sentiment, I wanted the lovely sunflowers to make the statement - plus I had little space left anyhow. I love the simplicity of the flowers just individually in plain jars/bottles too

A lot of years ago I went for dinner and an overnight stay with a friend, when I first moved down to London to work. I took her a huge bunch of pink peonies as a thank you for dinner (plus a bottle of wine of course!) - a stroke of luck as they turned out to be her favourite flowers.

The next morning I saw she had popped the peonies into a very simple vase on a coffee table, against a plain wall, with nothing else on it - apart from a botanical book open at a page showing pink peonies. Such a clever idea and really striking. Some folk are just born artistic!

Edit: My buddy Sarn just alerted me to The Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge, where the inspiration is this photo: 
So I'm entering today's card to play along. It look like a fun challenge having peeked at previous inspirations :) Thanks Sarn, mwah!

Di
x

33 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous and I love that pre colored image! Beautiful card!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just something so completely and utterly beautiful about sunflowers - they just make me smile so you are not alone Di. Beautiful card, glad you have treated yourself a little. I will try to get to PO next week with me parcel but will let you know when I do eventually make it out! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sunflowers Di and this card is gorgeous and all your others I've caught up on! lots of huggles Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Di. I love sunflowers too ... so bright and cheerful. Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sunflowers Di and your card really does do them justice. Beautiful.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sunflowers too (I do not kill those off) lol
    They are so bright and cheery...my favourites are the teddy bear type...short and stubby and sort of muted colours!
    I am going to remember the book with the picture open on the coffee table...that is a wonderful idea.

    Your card design is so nice...the DP you chose are just perfect with this image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely sunny card Di. Love sunflowers too - and peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning and beautiful Di.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this pretty card Di. Fabulous image, papers and a great layout.
    Hope you have a fabulous weekend.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Honey. Sunflowers are one of my favourites too!
    Love that nestie shape you have used.
    Hugs and Happy Friday.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also a HUGE FAN of sunflowers. You just have to think of them to make you smile. There's just something about them that's HAPPY.

    Absolutely lovely card Di. Great buy!

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one definitely has a WOW factor with that gorgeous yellow color and those pretty sunflowers! We're on the same wave length with those labels 18 dies and hand-cut mats eh? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sunflowers are so cheerful, love this card x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bootiful card Miss. We have/had sunflowers growing in the garden this year. Not cos I planted any no such luck. No these were from where the seeds (which are supposed to be sterilized ones) fell out of the bird feeder and sprouted all by themselves!!! Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card
    lovely sunflowers
    hugs with sun
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woah! fabulous card, it all balances so well Di, I love sunflowers too they are just so well sunny LOL
    I think I may have missed a birthday here :( So sorry :( I hope you had a wonderful day, :D hugs Gay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Di, what a beauty. Aren't friends the sweetest? I love those sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The maiden name of one of my BFFs is Wray. Her middle name is Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic card!! I'm a sunflower lover too, and have a half made card on the desk with sunflowers to be finished today. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous card, love the simplicity of echoing the colours. Sunflowers are definitely happy flowers, always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Di - I have these images and just love the sunflower - a very inspiring flower to be honest. You have chosen great papers to go with it so good luck in the challenge!!!

    Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. absolutely lovely! thanks for playing along at the Curtain Call!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous Di-and such a beautiful Sunflower image-fancy you working on yours and me on mine at the same time-bit spooky eh!!
    I hadn't entered the Curtain Call challenge either-until my new found playground friend and possible mischief buddy eeek-Ms A told be bout it :)
    Have a lovely weekend,Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Di,
    love this card, it's so bright and cheerful. Just what one needs if they are feeling a little down.
    Have a wonderful crafty weekend.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The ideal challenge for this card, these pre-coloured pads are gorgeous as is your card and it has just reminded me that I have one of each flower image, given to me by a member of our craft group that meets once a month, must dig them out and have a play.

    Kath x
    Finished all my Christmas cards now, yipee.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sunflowers are the happiest flowers, so bright and cheerful! So is your gorgeous card!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great choice on the gorgeously lovely sunflowers. Yes, they are so cheery, make one smile. You've showcased them so beautifully with the yellow matting. TFS & good luck with your challenges. Hope you win some 'good stuff'. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning card, Di. As you know, I find yellow a difficult colour, but nature has no such problems and these sunflowers are proof - such happy flowers. Love the story of your friend and the peonies ... the book open at the right page is just genius and not something I'd ever think to do :)) Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous card Di and such happy colours. We've got some dwarf sunflowers this year and they are just starting to die off so will be feeding the birdies soon x

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a gorgeous card!! Thanks for playing along with us over at the Curtain Call!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely yellow! I'm fond of sunflowers so this card really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.