Thursday 6 March 2014

Technique Time Tuesday - Caught in Crystal

There's a new challenge for March over at Technique Time Tuesday, the technique was chosen by our very own Karen P and there's also a video to show you how. Couldn't wait to have a play and this is what I made:


 This is a (blurry) close-up so you can see the delicate sparkles
I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card blank

- the background was done using a Kanban stamp (looks a bit like those lacy stockings/tights from many years ago), stamped in Memento 'Elderberry' onto a piece of white card and set aside

- the foreground was made by using a piece of acetate, same size as the background, black Stayzon ink pad and  foliage from SU's 'Just Believe' stamp set plus a butterfly from SU's 'Bloomin' Marvellous' set

- the 'trickery' is to then turn the acetate over (blot it or make sure it's dry first), scribble Glossy Accents or similar all over the back, splodge some re-inker here and there (I used Time Holtz 'Tumbled Glass') and then sprinkle all over with sparkle - Cosmic Shimmer 'Diamond Sprinkles' was my weapon of choice

- the next step is to press a piece of white tissue paper over the back of the acetate and the Glossy Accents should make it stick and I think it should also seep through a bit so you can then adhere it to the card background you stamped and set aside. Stick? Not likely! I suspect I'm working too slow but no way was I gonna give up so I just covered the back of the acetate with a piece of clear double sided adhesive sheet, peeled the other side off, stuck it to the backing and it worked brilliantly

- trimmed the image and popped it onto turquoise and elderberry coloured snippets of card - phew, that was the topper all ready at least!

- then I did some 1st and 2nd generation stamping around the white card blank with a little set of leaves from the SU 'Bloomin' Marvellous' set, using Memento 'Elderberry' ink again

- little strip of spotty turquoise ribbon across the card, topped with a bow and a black button with some embroidery thread knotted through the holes

- sentiment used a stamp from the SU 'Just Believe' set and 2nd generation Memento 'Elderberry' ink

- two SU punches ('Word Window' for the sentiment and 'Modern Label' plus a snippet of elderberry card

Little tip, I used the bow maker for the bow and when it was sat on the strip of ribbon it wasn't going to look right so I just tied a little piece of thread round the strip of ribbon to pinch it in right where the bow would be stuck.

Oh, you might wonder why not just go straight to the double sided sticky - the scribbled Glossy Accents does disperse the sparkle when you apply it rather than a solid coating - pretty too.

Then I went and had a lie down before clearing everything away!


Di
x

26 comments:

  1. Very pretty card and fabulous that is fits Mrs A's challenge too. Have to get my card post written for Mrs A's. Have it made but it is so dark and dreary here, all photos look like rubbish!

    Off for some quick visits before seeing to supper. Glamour Girl is coming for supper so better splash out a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowsers! I saw Karen P's card, not had time to check out the video as yet. This is lovely too, and I've never worked on the acetate. Yours turned out just grand. I always enjoy reading your how-to-s. Glad to hear you had a lie-down after your crafty endeavors (oh I love that expression! much nicer than my took a nap!). Your card is lovely, well done. TFS & Hugs. (and to Parsnip too. Tell him I miss him, hope to see 'im soon).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my dear this is fantastic card
    love the effect of ice
    wauuu
    have a lovely day
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card looks great Di. So much work went into it, I'm not surprise you had to have a lie down afterwards!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAB-U-LUSS!! Love it Di. Must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous card there Miss. I shall have to have a look later at Karen's post.
    hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to go and have a lie down after reading all about your endeavours. Bootiful card Miss.
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a one Di and this is just wonderful. Must away and have a look at Karen's tutorial. Think I might be missing a trick here otherwise! Both being pinkness girls I think we should both use blue more cos I like the colour effect on here and all the sparkle. Thank you for fluttering by with another entry for #2. Your a sport. Hugs Mrs A (Butterfly challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Di, Oh wow your talents are showing through with this card its absolutely beautiful and what a lovely touch with the sparkle l think l'll need to try this out and thanks for the link Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning card, must have another read through the method. Might have a go at something like this.
    Happy Crafting

    Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You answered my question about why not just stick down your piece but I see the need for the tissue piece. This is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness Di, you are a glutten for punishment but this is totally stunning, love it, very well done.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful card you have made here! I love all of the layers you put behind your acetate, especially that lacy one. Gorgeous! So glad you joined us at TTT this month!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Di!!! LOVE this card! I didn't even think to use this stamps, but now I need to PIN this and then CASE you! GORGEOUS work! Thanks for joining us at Technique Time Tuesday! :) HUGS and have a great rest of the week! Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful technique that traps the glitter so it can't get away! It sure makes a pretty card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so very, very, very honoured that you have entered our Challenge blog again this month Di - thank you so much - you are a fabulous lady and a great friend! It's a beautiful take on our challenge and I may end up having to come back with my Crew hat on lol!
    Just entered my last card for this weeks snippets too!
    Have a fab weekend huni xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a clever technique! Another fabulous card, Di, the black and white is so chic! (And I had stockings like that background back in the day - I wore them with a ra-ra skirt! those were the days!!)

    love, Mags B (who nowadays would cause a mass panic if she appeared in a ra-ra skirt and patterned tights!!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. No kidding, you had a lie down, Di! I'd still be lying down! I do want to try this, even if it's not in time for the challenge. It sounds so intriguing. I appreciate reading how you did it to save myself a bit of frustration, so thank you for that and the tip about the thread!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a beautiful card! And, what great choices on stamps - great work! Thanks for joining us at TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Caught in Crystal card is beautiful! Don't you agree this is a fun technique? Great job and Thank you for joining us at TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! You certainly rocked this challenge :) Thank you so much for sharing with us this month at Technique Time Tuesday, we sure hope to see you around again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your card is beautiful. You really did a great job with the technique. Love the imaged and the colors, as well as how you finished the card. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so elegant! Great job with the technique! Thank you so much for joining us at Technique Time Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too had to have a go this and loved getting messy love your end result very pretty
    Jacki x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on being showcased, but I am not surprised this is an absolutely gorgeous card, you so rocked this challenge. Thanks for joining us at TTT

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not sure how I missed this one Di. Congratulations on being showcased at TTT! Well worth all the work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.