Sunday 20 April 2014

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Week 121

First of all, Happy Easter everyone! I'm writing this on Saturday but the weather forecast for Sunday is wet in the Playground so (if they got it right) I hope you brought your wellies!

Here's my snippets card:
I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card blank

- Penny Black's 'Pin-striped' stamp, stamped using Memento 'London Fog' and then the stem coloured with the fine end of a Whispers marker. Then I got Tatty Teddy's 'Spring Chic' paper pad out and sure enough, there were just the pink and green snippets I wanted, tucked in the little holder at the back of the pad so I re-stamped parts of the image for the flowers and leaves and paper pieced them. Just a tickle with a Pro Marker on the stamens

- after trimming the image to size but leaving spare at the top of the oblong I die cut along the top edge using a My Favourite Things die called 'Notebook Edge'

- snippet of SU 'Certainly Celery' backing card

- pink backing paper from Tatty Teddy 'Spring Chic' paper pad - a whole sheet almost, shock, horror!

- two little green spotty snippets were punched with Martha Stewart's 'Vintage Lace' punch to form a 'belly band' - which doesn't even meet in the middle but that's hidden underneath the image

- the sentiment was stamped using a LOTV 'Small General Greetings' stamp and Brilliance 'Pearlescent Orchid' ink pad, sigh, AFTER the image was paper pieced and die cut along the top edge. Talk about heart in mouth but it worked and I didn't wreck the thing, phew. Note to self, a bit of forward planning would be good

I'd like to enter this into the current Penny Black and More challenge, which is  'Blossoms and Blooms'. Thank you Linby for the prompt!

A couple of tips about paper piecing this 'ere card. As I learnt from Jules, it's always much easier to apply the glue pen to the main image rather than the fiddly little pieces. And, I'm always scrupulously honest when saying I used snippets on a card and what little bits I had to play with needed a bit of thinking about. I did think about using the stamp-a-ma-jig to position the wooden stamp on the little snippets but then remembered a trick I just read about recently. It might have been on one of your blogs, if so let me know and I'll give you the credit. What you do is ink the stamp (let's say one of the leaves), lie it rubber side up and then place your snippet patterned side down onto the stamp, very carefully 'cos you don't want to end up with a smudged image. Take an acrylic block, place that gently on top and press firmly. Of course this isn't an issue with clear stamps anyhow :)

Oh, and by adding the green belly band in two pieces it was easier to make sure the pattern of the punched edge was equal at either end of course.

OK, let's get on with the weekly picks now:
 
Love this card, made by Christine - super use of snippets and the colours go so well together.
Isn't this iris folding brilliant, made by Judy. I just love the way the centre of the apple looks like the core!

I picked this card, made by Hazel, as I love the way the daisies have been added to the embossed stems and then echoed on the sentiment.

You can always rely on Darnell to come up with something to make you smile - and this bunny is no exception! Sugar overload maybe?

I love the soft vintage look of this card, made by Juls, and all the sewing related embellishments - really lovely!

As it's Easter there were a few cards made with that in mind, I picked this lovely card made by Greta. Such a pretty design and colour combination - isn't the egg die gorgeous as well?

This brooch was made by Jenny, using snippets. There's a step-by-step tutorial over on her blog. It's not an easy time for Jenny right now due to severe back pain and also it's affecting one arm so I think Jenny must be our little star of the week for struggling on and making this. Get well soon honey!

Lynn made me laugh earlier in the week when she commented about last week's picks and said she needed to up her game (you really are all getting to use snippets so cleverly) - and then she popped back with this to show! A beautiful snippets card, great gate fold design and even the butterfly charm was made from a snippet of shrink plastic!

I could keep adding more and more picks, but this self-imposed (and policed by Len) limit on time spent sitting at the computer means I ought to move on before he catches me!

So, we had a nice surprise in the Playground this week - hands up who remembers Nessa (The Crafty Laydee blog)? Nessa closed that blog a while back but now has a new one here (Just 4 Challenges) - do please hop over to say welcome back! And this is her card:

And we also have a brand new playmate, Crafting Vicky, who brought us this sweet Easter card:

I do hope you both come back to play soon!

And now, the winner of last week's prize, the Marianne Creatables 'Scandinavian Hearts' die set is:

Well done Cornelia, and thank you for being such a regular playmate too. I just checked back and it's six months since your last win so you were well due another one! Can you please drop me an email (di_wray@hotmail.com) to remind me of your postal address.

And while we're on the subject of Cornelia, I'd like you girls to see this lovely card, made by Cornelia:
 
It's for a little girl called Lauryn, currently being treated for leukaemia, you can read more over at Cornelia's blog. Wouldn't it be lovely if some of us could also send a card for Lauryn - the address is over at Cornelia's blog post.

The prize this week is a stamp the same as the one I used today - Penny Black's 'Pin-striped'. A nice big stamp at approx. 3" wide and over 4" high, perfect for colouring and of course paper piecing:
The funny ripple down the left of the stamp isn't damaged wood by the way, it's just how the light caught the plastic decal/covering with the image on.

As usual, the snippets challenge will run for one week and the Playground gates will close at 11am UK time on Saturday 26th April and will open again at midnight UK time on the same day. Maximum of three entries and please say 'No thank you' in a comment if you wish to still play but not be the winner of the prize

Mr Linky is below - please let me know if you have any problems linking, I can sort it out for you quite quickly and am always happy to do so.

Have a great week - keep those snippets coming :) And remember, it's Rudolph Day from Friday over at Sarn's.

Di (and a wave from Parsnip, err, and Puggles the Platypus I guess)
x

54 comments:

  1. I love your card, Di--beautiful use of that stamp! I'm honored you noticed my Easter Egg card--love all the picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always so startled as I'm cozily settled in reading your post and enjoying your card and then the picks start scrolling and what? Thank you for the honor of being spotlighted in such wonderful company and congratulations to the other honorees!

    Your note paper card is really cool, Di! And I learned a trick, to boot, which is always a treat!! I'll do my best to get back and play ... company and a full calendar for the next cupla weeks. How did I ever work outside the home?!!

    Happy Easter! I reckon you are right in the middle of it. I hope you found the special egg I hid for you! It wouldn't do to have it start smelling, so you might want to take a walk about. Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your note paper card is gorgeous. The stamp is perfect.... thanks for reminding me about a card for Lauryn. I'll be heading over to get her address. Happy Easter....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Di ......Happy Easter Sunday no wellies needed here today or at this moment but l suppose it could change ......Another stunning card l just adore this P/b Stamp so lovely is your colouring and the backing paper match too! congrats to all who have been showcased and congrats to Cornelia well deserved winner so cute is her card xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your snippets card, Di. The pastel colours are so beautiful and the image gorgeous. Thank you for featuring my card with the daisies. Happy Easter to you and Len xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning All . . . I've had rain AND sunshine so far - so taking no chances - got my wellies on & brella out!

    Love your beautifully paper pieced creation here Di.

    Congrats to Cornelia on her win.

    Lovely showcased projects too.

    Playing for fun only thanks Di

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours of your card Di.
    I too got a smile from Darnell's bunny and I second your Star of the Week for Jenny :)
    Just for fun again this week thanks x
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pretty subtle colours of your card Di.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Easter Di. I'm still around - just didn't do any blogging or crafting at all last week for various reasons. Love your card and the picks are as usual just gorgeous. Hoping to get back into things this week. Have a great day.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Easter Sunday Di!! fab picks and congrats to Cornelia:) Your card is gorgeous I love that pad of papers there are so many yummy colours in it lots of huggles Sue xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely makes, just uploaded my own card - just playing for fun this week

    HAPPY EASTER

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely makes from everyone as always. Great paper piecing Di - you could also enter that into our challenge at Penny Black & More as it is Blossoms and blooms.
    Happy Easter.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card Di, love the paper piecing and the pretty papers. Happy Easter too! Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Happy Easter to you and Parsnip! I hope he hasn't found all the eggs and eaten them before the hunt begins?! :)
    That's such a beautiful paper-pieced card, and I adore the colors! Great tips too!
    A heartfelt WOW for all the spotlighted cards this week and special congrats to Cornelia! I know Lauryn is going to love the card she made for her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some great cards once again!

    Your card looks wonderful. Thanks for the trick about paperpiecing small bits. It sure can be trick!

    I like the notebook edge on your card topper. It looks so cool. Boy, I am dating myself with that saying!

    Off to my Mum's for a week. She is just out of hospital so not sure how much I can get by to play. Have a couple of cards scheduled but hopefully will get to some internet access to link them up! I might be linking a few days after my posts! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous card Di. The paper piecing is super and I love that note book die but I'm on a strict stash diet at the moment so it will have to go on my wanted list x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty card Di-that is a lovely stamp.
    There were lots of lovely cards in the Playground again this week and thank you so much for showing mine and giving me a shout out :)
    See you later in the week with a little crafty something,
    Nessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me again....I REALLY need to be cleaning up my craft room. I seem to be distracted by shiny objects! Off I go, this time I am going to finish what I started...Or not! Have a crafty day....Have you released Parsnip from her bunny ears?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really gorgeous card Di and a fabulous image.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great bit of paper piecing. I think I saw the stamping tip on Create and Craft. Yes please stick me oin the cooking pot this week.
    Erm. Think I just stood on Darnell's egg! Yuk!!!
    Happy Easter.
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Miss Di

    Yay!!! Made it this week and have tried hard to make amends for my absence.

    Loving your make very much. That stamp fits perfectly on that notebook die!

    Have a fabby Easter everyone.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Got this one linked! Will visit the others in the playground soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Back again Di, think you've inspired me to get out my inchie stamps and have a play! Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for choosing y card as one of your top picks! I'm so thrilled - and here I am back to play in the playground again this week. Hugs Christinex

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wunnerful post again Miss...

    .. and aren't there some clever bunnies out there in the playground.. great work.. must get posting sometime soon :D Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Di,
    I love your paper pieced masterpiece and a fab tip about gluing the image - one to try.

    Excellent top picks once again - the playgrounders really are just too good!

    Hope you have a lovely day.
    Eve xx
    P.S I have sent you an email with a link to a square punch!

    ReplyDelete
  27. HI Di...I've managed to make a card to join you for this challenge but not sure I have done the URL thing right...have emailed you...
    Love your card...

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello again Di,
    This is my second entry for today (shock) from my new blog (double shock!!)

    So glad that you bought the punch!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Easter to you and Mr Pixie Miss, and of course Parsnip! I do hope you have taken those ears off him now?
    I hope you don't mind, but I have a little fabric offering for the Playground today, in case anyone is tired.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your card. The paper piecing is nicely done. Also loving the cards you selected to showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Di, Just dropped by to check out the competition from last week! Fabulous as usual so don't really know why I'm entering but have missed a couple of weeks again. Sorry. Just playing for fun as I don't need the stamp. Hugs Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. What pretty paper pieced flowers, Di! Just playing for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Teddy's a bunny, oh what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great showcasing, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful card, as always! I like how you used notebook edge ! Colors and image are beautiful!
    Ileanaxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely card, Di, featuring one of my favorite color combos.
    Just playing for fun this week.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the stamp Di, and I like the design and colour of your card. Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congrats to Cornelia for winning the die and huge congrats to the spotlit creations!
    I really don't envy you having to pick them Di because these ladies are all so very talented!
    I will try harder this week and try to get another entry or two done so I can come back again soon.
    Funnily enough I was playing with my two PB flower stamps over Easter.
    That is a really beautiful card and a gorgeous stamp. Will have to remember about the paper piecing as it is something I have struggled with in the past so thank you for passing it on.
    Hoping to get to PO this week, will let you know after I have posted so you know it's on the way Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. The Huffing and Puffing produced a beautiful card Di.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yay, I made it back with a card to show! Just playing for fun again! Off to bed here, but I'll be back for catch up with the other playmates and yourself, Miss! Hope you had a grand Easter and thanks again for the shout out!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've only just come across this challenge - hope there are enough 'snippets' on this one

    ReplyDelete
  42. I can't keep up Miss with all these gorgeous entries. Wot with the rats and trying to keep The Doc of the rungs on the ladder I need a drinkie poos.
    Nop.
    That dun work.
    I needs a nudder wun.
    Gulp.
    Guzzle.
    Now where wos EYE!!
    Oh yes. Load the washing machine wid tonights tea. Dat dun sound right.
    We wasn't spossed to ave Soup!!
    Hugs Me or is it her.
    Wassever.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Grrr Mr linky not working will try again later.
    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lovely card, Your comment on the challenge blog made me smile and l hope you join us again next time. Thank you for sharing at Penny Black & More @ Allsorts 'Blossom & Blooms' challenge and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my! There is my iris fold apple! How fun to be showcased along with such other lovely cards. Your card is perfect for Easter. You paper piecing is fabulous; it almost looks like the flower is see through and we are seeing the backing paper.

    ReplyDelete
  46. You have picked some lovely cards again this week Di, and added a lovely one yourself. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  47. Well deserved congrats to Cornelia - her card is gorgous as are the other fabulous picks. Love your card Di, fabulous paper piecing and colours xx

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Miss Di, and the lovely Parsnip.
    Thank you for featuring my brooch in your wonderful line up of fab snippets creations.
    Love your wonderful card as usual.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Those darn rats have finally gone in for their tea so I can get on my computer at last and do a catch up. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Finally got my box card made Di. It took an age! But will have another go, lol. Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hey up girls. Wer'e getting a Zoo for the playground. Miss said so!!
    I seen it in writing.

    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Tee hee - you asked where the carrot was for Rudolph on my last card ... the mouse had eaten it, which is why he is so contented! ... well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it ... xx

    ReplyDelete
  53. Absolutely stunning and thanks for joining us at Penny Black & More and good luck, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  54. Dear Di, oh, wow - no I have not been here during my vacation - struggled with an unfamiliar Apple laptop.....and just enjoyed my vacation :)
    Well, that is one pleasant surprise to discover - thanks for letting me know! This is one cool die!!! And again thanks for showcasing my card and advertising Lauryn's card drive. You are just the sweetest person out there! I am so happy to have met you in blog land. Big hugs, Cornelia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.