Wednesday 11 February 2015

Merry Monday #145 - Candy Canes

At first my heart really sank when I spotted that the current challenge over at Merry Monday is 'Candy Canes', sigh.

This is the inspiration photo:
 

I don't possess a single stamp or die featuring candy canes and the one designer paper I found was just not doing it for me (too busy and too many other colours). Then I Googled 'candy canes' - do you know just how many free candy cane images there are to be had? Picked one, re sized it in GIMP (free software that I use mostly for my photos) - and off we went:
I used:

- the 'mouse with candy cane' image is free Clipart, which I found online. Printed onto white card after being re sized in GIMP as already said, then die cut using a die from the Spellbinders 'Floral Ovals' set


- then embossed a piece of white card using SU's 'Holiday Frame' embossing folder and popped the mouse die cut oval on top

- matted onto a snippet of SU's 'Certainly Celery' which was then adhered to the card blank using thin sticky pads

- final touch, one matt silver Josy Rose nail head in each corner

And that final addition means I can go and play over at Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge where this week we have to decorate one or more corners. Also I'd like to join in with Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for February, where it's always 'Anything Goes'.

I managed to mess up Sunday's snippets post BIG time - mental note, be so, so careful when fiddling with HTML!! And of all people (given my programming background since aged 19 - child prodigy back in the dark ages when a computer took up a whole floor of a building!) I should know that!!!

But, although the picks and body of the post have gone and I'm really sorry I don't have time to re-do them, Mr Linky has been re-installed and your entries so far are safe plus your comments are still there- so if you've said yes please for the lovely die set, don't worry, that's all in hand.

It's all probably due to the threat of Iggy the Iguana arriving anytime now as a new playmate in the Playground. I'm absolutely terrified of lizards and don't even mention snakes - comes (with good reason) from living in the Far East for a few years. Once (about 15 or so years ago) literally stood up ready to jump into the river in Bangkok, whilst playing tourist, when some eeedjit draped a python over Len's shoulders as we floated past in a longtail boat. I still shudder thinking about the little smiley face, forked tongue (ack!!) and beady eyes looking over my right shoulder before I screamed, stood up  and prepared to abandon ship with a swift dive into the river. Tell you what - there were a lot of other people in same boat screaming at the same time as the boat rocked from side to side, snigger :))

I'm doing my best to keep up with commenting on your snippets entries, if I slip behind at times it's because we're busy fighting over the process of decorating our bedroom. Not had a tin of paint poured over me yet though - she says with fingers firmly crossed!

Di
x

32 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you didn't give up and found this delightful image, Di! It's perfect with the die cut oval and embossing! I hadn't thought to use the two together and they're perfect! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a darling little image, and your resulting card is just beautiful! Had that been me on the boat, I'd have bailed at the first sight of a snake onboard! YIKES!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed Bonnie's entry to this challenge earlier, and it's amazing how each of you did something totally different with the same 'candy cane'. I love this clipart, and have never seen it with the little sweet clinging mouse. Love that you've combined the very fav S/B oval with that lovely SU EF. A very elegant look fer sure. Now if you're having lizards come to visit the Playground, No Thank you. And if I'd been in that boat, guarantee you, I'd have been over the side. Once in a hair salon, saw an idiot with one draped over his shoulder, outside on the pavement. Asked the stylist if there was a back entrance. When she said No, I said "If that guy comes in the shop, there WILL BE! I am terrified of any kind of thing like that. Have told all my near & dear - if ever they find me stretched out - gone - outside in the yard, they will know exactly what I saw. Doesn't have to bite me, just show up!!! So please - no slithers in the playground!! TFS & sorry you had the HTML problem. Been there, done that, will try real hard, not to do it again! TFS & Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How resourceful of you to find a fitting pic. I'd have given up! As for the HTML , I'd have had a breakdown ! Cute card, got that folder somewhere...... Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card with a really cute image. Well done on finding a freebie image online to fit the challenge! Will have to remember that tip. :-)

    Don't you just hate it when computers delete things you hadn't intended to lose? xx



    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fancy background with the cute image--great card, Di!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatttttt? How did you find out about Iggy so soon? Oh come on now . . . who doesn't love an Iguana?

    *Snigger*

    Must say you made a lovely card for the MM challenge. So sorry to hear you had probs with the Playground post . . . but all is not lost PHEW!

    Are you turning your bedroom into a real live Art Journal then Di? Just saying in case paint starts to get thrown about!!!!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card Di and love your embossed oval and sweet image, Computers scared me to death I can do the basics and thats all!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh l'm eating those candy canes Di.....lol l'm loving your card l have a few of these freebies and your right there are so many to choose from spoilt for choice xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how cute Di and love the way you have framed the image witb that lovely oval and then added that really pretty embossed frame behind. Gorgeous! Sorry for your computer woes. Personally as soon as html is mentioned I tend to run off in fright. I just wish I understood it better. I hope you and your DH come to an amicable agreement on the decorating front, but I'm sure it will look fantastic when it's finished. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute image. I love the Spellbinder die on top of the embossing on the card. I'm off to look at Clipart. I hope that's a place. And it's free? Oh my, I've been missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your cute image that you found. You did a beautiful job with embossing. Your card is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a cute candy cane image and you've made a really fabulous card with the die-cutting and embossing xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning Di, and so cute.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pythons plummeting from above does not sound like a good experience at all! Love the card--such a sweet find. What a great save to do candy canes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will be awol from the Playground is any, and I mean ANY, scaley or multi legged creature appears. This girl once screamed in Fiji because of the size of a moth that flew into the restaurant, it is one of the rare times that I have blushed deeply - I cannot do snakes, spiders, lizards or moths and I struggle with butterflies as much as I love them lol!
    Beautiful card Di - love the die cuts and the image is perfect. Have to say the HTML stuff goes right over me head so I don't dare try anything Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cute image you found and you framed it just beautifully! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you did not give up on playing along with us this week! I too have found many images years ago of candy canes....some I still use! Your card is so pretty, Di! Love how your framed it with that lovely embossing folder! Job well done, girl! Thanks for playing along with us this week over at Merry Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So so cute Di, I love the adorable image you found and I love the simple layout you used to showcase it. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very cute, Di! So happy you found this amazing digi image. Thank you for joining us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMGosh Di, this card is beautiful!!! I love the clip art image of the little mouse with his prize, a sweet candy cane! Can't believe that was clip art! You have featured this little cutie perfectly on that SB die and then on top of the embossed background. Love the green mat as well, it's just perfect to showcase this beauty!! Oh no, I'm glad it happened to a computer savoy person like you and not a non savoy person like me! But I'm sorry that it happened at all. Yikes, I would be with you on the python! I don't mind ordinary snakes, but don't put those squeezers any where near me!! Nope, I don't like water but that would have been one time I would have dove in the water too. lol I hope all goes well with the bedroom redecorating too! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that little mouse image - so cute! And your diecut and embossing accents are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Di, This is a beautiful card. I loved the idea of embossing with the Holiday frame and then stamping your image onto a floral oval die cut. How ingenius! You have given ideas to me. That's what I love about these challenges, are new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you were able to find this cute & adorable image to add to your card and our challenge! Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so cute ...... love the embossed and due cut frames around the image. xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such an adorable image and a fabulous CAS card. Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful embossing and cute image.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is a fabulous Christmas card, such an elegant design.
    Thank you for joining us at CHNC Extra Challenge.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yay, DI!! Congratulations on the well-deserved HM honor from MM for this elegant and lovely candy cane card!! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.