Wednesday 13 May 2015

CHNC Challenge 228: Vintage or Shabby Chic

The current challenge over at Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge is 'Vintage or Shabby Chic'. Hmm, there was a bit of pondering here for a while and then I came up with this:
I used:

- 6" x 6" square SU 'Crumb Cake' card blank

- backing paper is from the Bo Bunny 'Father Christmas' paper collection, just slightly trimmed

- the postcard image is made by Stampendous called 'Cling Snowy Postcard' - stamped using VersaFine 'Vintage Sepia' ink

- I then just tickled here and there on the scene using a clear Wink of Stella brush then did a little bit of colouring on the holly leaves using a Gold Wink of Stella brush. The berries were added using a deep red Pro marker

- I trimmed the postcard to size using my old faithful Woodware trimmer and a 'deckle' blade

I'm pleased to report that I did manage to track down some additional spare blades for the trimmer as well as some extra cutting mats to slot in the blade channel - just took a bit of good old Percy Veerance :)

And as is often the case, I made an additional card exactly the same whilst at it.

This is also for Craftyhazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra for May, where it's always 'anything goes'.

Uncle Charlie's funeral went well on Friday and was indeed more of a celebration of a long and full life. Remember that I mentioned he was a POW in World War II? And was a  captive for almost five years?

Well, we discovered from the family that he and his wife very recently had to go into a nursing home - after Charlie had a minor stroke and couldn't continue to look after his beloved wife Jessie at home. Within a very short time, Uncle Charlie plotted their bid for freedom and they were caught trying to 'escape' through the kitchen which had a back door to the outside world - the rotten postman snitched on them!

Di
x

27 comments:

  1. Great vintage Christmas card. I never know where to start with vintage cards, but this one with the sepia stamped postcard is just perfect.

    Sound like Charlie was quite a character!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this stamp and the background suits it perfectly Di?and stamping with the sepia ink definitely gives it the vintage feel. It sounds like Charlie never lost his get up and go ..lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the stupid question mark, I don't know where that came from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely card! That snowy village reminds me of days gone by and I love the postcard on that perfectly matched dsp! Poor Charlie, he darn near made his escape didn't he?! Speaking of the postman, my ef and die arrived today! TY so very much, I can't wait to use them:) thank-you ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's MY Christmas card made then Di!!!!! I call Dibs! I just LOVE it.

    I'm glad all went well on Friday and like Liz says, it sounds like Charlie was a real character.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Di,
    oh what a very lovely creation.
    Love the postcard scene, and your fab paper.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely card Di - the postcard image is fab stamped in Vintage Sepia.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is really lovely Di! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect for my CHNC challenge 228, Di - I have that stamp and love it, but don't use it enough. Thanks for entering both CHNC challenges. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card Di - had to chuckle at Uncle Charlie's attempted escape - our Mum managed to walk out and catch a bus to the next village! x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. The postie clearly didn't know who he was messing with Di!!!
    One of my fave stamps here and a great card. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely card Di-bless your Uncle Charlie and his escape plans-he sounded quite a character!
    Nessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card Di, That super christmas paper matches the lovely stamp so well.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful vintage xmas card Di and that is such a lovely stamp.

    Glad all went well on Friday xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely vintage card, Di. The postcard stamp is one of my favourite Christmas themed ones and the paper you've used is gorgeous - love it :) And loved the story of Charlie and Jessie's bid for freedom ... he sounds like quite a character who did, indeed, enjoy a long and full life. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this stamp and I love your card Di...and of course you put me to shame on the Xmas cards. As for Uncle Charlie..........who can blame him.maybe that postman will meet his comeuppance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love that stamp Di - it makes a gorgeous card! Glad Friday went well and had to have a chuckle about Charlie trying to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so sweet. I love the soft vintage look of this scene. Uncle Charlie sounds like he was a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your beautiful Christmas Card. Uncle Charlie sounds like he was a fun character, glad his funeral went well.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  20. Simply gorgeous, Luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous card there Di. I do love that stamp.
    Good ole Uncle Charlie!! So funny.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello there chuckles! Soz I haven't been by for aaaaaages but am trying to remedy that now! This is a beautiful card and you've used one of my favourite Christmas stamps, I had to smile at your story of Uncle Charlie trying to 'escape' via the kitchen, he sounds as if he was a real character.

    Lots of hugs to you and Parsnip

    Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is an absolutely gorgeous Christmas card. I would actually choose ones like these to buy! L O V E L Y DI xxx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous. Hope you noticed that this card is already planned for British Columbia (just check the bottom right script...teehee

    Love your Wink of Stella tickles...they look beautiful on this image. I have this stamp too...hopefully you will inspire me to actually use mine.

    PS Check out my last post as Little Mr P has a feature I think you will get a kick out of...lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LIKE this! Love the way you've added the pretty holly DP. This must have made a quite large card, as this image is big too. It's used perfectly on this card & fit the challenge perfectly with the sepia tones. Loved the Uncle Charlie escapade! They don't make 'em like these folks any more! TFS & Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the vintage feel to this card, the image is great and the 'Jingle Bells' really sets it off. Thank you for joining us at CHNC Extra.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.