Saturday 25 July 2015

Less is More Challenge - 'Snippets'

I've been sitting on a BIG secret for weeks here, first of all, it's a very special Birthday for Chrissie over at 'Less is More'. 'Happy Birthday' Chrissie!!

The next part of the secret is that this coming week's theme for the LIM challenge is 'Snippets' - and Sarah kindly asked me to be their Guest Designer!! Wahoo, and then panic set in of course. Much running round the walls and chewing of nails here. And that was Parsnip little white fluffy bear, forget about me!!

We all know that it's not always that easy to make a snippets card whilst keeping the card clean, crisp and having plenty of 'white' space - but it is 'doable' I promise:
I used:

- 5" x 7" white card blank

- then I stamped the sentiment using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a stamp from the 'Good Friends' set by Hero Arts - I do usually stamp sentiments first, purely to save spoiling a finished card which could have taken ages, with a smudge or whatever :) And it IS straight I promise!

- next I masked off a panel across the card using Scotch removable tape, plus some Post-its for good measure, before adding clouds using a duster brush, Tim Holtz 'Tumbled Glass' ink pad and an A6 stencil by Dutch Doobadoo called 'Clouds'. It's fine to use this stencil on bigger cards, just remember not to go right up to the side edges before moving it across a bit

- then came the snippets fun :) I first of all die cut the balloon from a snippet of black card using a fabulous Joanna Sheen Signature die called 'Hot Air Balloon'. I'd backed the black card with 'Stick-It' adhesive film which did make the whole process much easier. I then stuck the balloon onto the cloud panel - my measuring had worked a treat as I wanted the gondola itself to be against the white background rather than the sky

- next I lined up six little snippets of card and backed them with 'Stick-It' adhesive film. They were literally just little strips of snippets so I did have to take great care to make sure I cut and lined up them properly when cutting out the little panels, one by one, sigh :( Never choose the easy route of course!

And here's a tip - after I'd stuck the black outline die cut of the balloon onto the card front, but before adding the coloured panels - my OCD kicked in. Even the microscopic width of the cut around each panel could have meant some white card peeking from behind - so I inked around the inside of each panel with a black Whispers marker! It made the visual lining up of the die cut panels much trickier I must admit, but with the aid of a really strong pair of specs and my daylight lamp it was feasible and of course when properly lined up they do sort of 'slot down' into place :) And no 'white bits/bikini marks' as they say :)

Thank you so much to the LIM Team for asking me to be their guest designer and for choosing the theme 'Snippets', you really totally amazed me there. And of course, once again, I hope that you, Chrissie, 'Have a fantastic day' - as the sentiment I used says :)

OK Playmates, it would be great if you try to join in with Less is More, I'd be thrilled to see some LIM snippets cards in the Playground.

AND, of course I don't normally do a blog post on a Saturday, but I will be back tomorrow with the Snippets Playground write-up plus a pretty good prize selection - all linked to today's card :) Snigger :)

Di
x

46 comments:

  1. It's so lovely to have you joining us this week, Di! And what a fabulous card. I love your delicately inked and masked panel behind your bold bright balloon. A fabulous way to use up little snippets. Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so pleased for you when I clicked on to LIM this morning and saw you smiling out from the page! I'm sure you are going to have a busy week checking out all the entries. Your inspiration card is brilliant, I can see why you've been picked as guest designer.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy dancing for you Di, on your Guest Designer spot over on the Less is More Challenge! I love your beautiful CAS card. The panel of clouds behind the hot air balloon is just perfect. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've nailed it Di!! Fabulous CAS snippets card!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your guest spot on LIM - well deserved. I love your snippet card - beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely surprise on checking LIM this morning that you are the GDT this week - congrats. Great card too, love the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Di!!! It's a very charming CAS!!!
    And how much work with the little snippets!!
    In Italy we said: "you have done a Carthusian job", that is a minute, very accurate job with microscopic things!!
    The hot-air balloon is a little wonder and LOVE soooo much the light sky. You are very talented, this is a piece of art!
    Congrats for your GD!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card, Di! Love the vibrant balloon against the light blue sky and a really top tip about using black on the inside of the segments to keep it looking sharp. Great to see you as GD at LIM :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phew I've just nipped in with my snippets card for last week Di! ;) just playing for fun though no prize please! Thanks again for being a wonderful guest designer for LIM this week! Your snippets card is brilliant and just shows how snippets and CAS can work together! Thanks for the tip to avoid bikini lines... Wonder if that works IRL heehee!!! Have a fun week and hope you get load's of wonderful comments! Hugs Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATULATIONS DI on your guest design spot at LIM - WHOOP WHO!!!
    It was so lovely to see your lovely smiley face when my blog list came up today!
    Your card is AMAZING and I would be well chuffed if I could make cards like that. Sadly I have to lock my embellishments etc. in a cupboard when I enter and I just can't seem to crack the clean and simple look. So any tips would be gratefully received and I am willing to stay behind at the end of the school day!!!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wahooooo . . . MANY CONGRATS on your GDT spot on the LIM challenge Di. FABULOUS snippets card and explanation of how it was achieved.

    So chuffed for you mate - or should I say "tickled pink" for yoU!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on being guest designer on Less is More. Your card is perfect. I love that sky. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous! love your balloon in the different snippets of colour, and big congrats on your GDT spot at LIM!
    hugs, annie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATS on the GDTM slot mate - well deserved.

    Fab balloon make

    See you tomorrow at your snippets challenge!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous card, lovely use of your snippets in the balloon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am pretty sure you could hear me let out a huge WHOOP when I clicked on the LIM post just now and saw my little Di was guest designing for this week's challenge! What an honor, what a thrill, what a well-deserved tribute to you, your beautiful cards, and your amazing Snippets Playground challenge that we all love so much! It takes a lot of work and dedication and I can't wait to join in the celebration of all that is you!! Your LIM card is perfection, CASlicious, and so fun!! Love and hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this CAS balloon card with the pieced snippets and the pretty clouds stencilled behind Di, and how great to be GD for the week over at LIM and to be recognised for your fab snippets challenge which I love lots. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your GD assignment. Can't think of anyone better suited to Guest on a Snippets theme! Love the cloudy background...that is some super sponging and the clouds look fantastic with the horizon line. Those tiny patterns in the fun balloon must have been so tedious to place 'just so', but they are perfectly placed! It's a really fun look, very CAS and colorful. And some more snippets used up! WTGo.TFS & have a great wkend

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a cute CAS card! Saw it over at Less is More..congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Di, congrats on being featured over at LIM! So cool that they have you as GDT! Woot, woot, way to go!!! In that case I have to raid my snippets bin and make a card to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A brilliant card Di, I love the hot air balloon and your tip with the Whispers marker. Well done and congratulations on your GD spot - it's well deserved!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on your GD at LIM!!! fabulous card and well done you :))) huggles Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Di, well done on the GD and such a fabulous card for LIM, love everything you have done with the card. You have the patience of a Saint.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on being Guest designer at LIM! And I really love the inspirationcard you made; so CAS and so colourful (and it helps that I love balloons...) Have a colourful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is perfect, Di! Love this beauty. Congrats on yout GD spot on Less is More!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on your snippet GD spot Di!! I am in love with your hot air balloon card. I had to enlarge the picture to get a really good look at it and I'm in awe at how fabulous your balloon and sky look! I also love the tip about stamping first rather than last and risk messing up the whole card. Well it was a "duh" moment for me! How could I be so dumb and not think to do that?! lol Mercy me, I thought I was smarter than that, but I guess I'm not. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on your GT spot! You did a fantastic job making a CAS card while using snippets!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Woo hoo!! Well done Di.

    Many congratulations on your very well deserved GDT spot.

    My creations would never make it to the LIM challenge .. .. my aim is always to cram on, and dispose of as many snippets as I possibly can LOL!!

    Catch you tomorrow with my overloaded snippet makes!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    (Sorry had to remove my last comment .. .. I missed a letter out and that would never do!! LOL!!)

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. You truly ARE the queen of snippets Di, great card.
    Hugs Veerle

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats the GD slot Di! Love that colourful balloon too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You nailed it, Di! Great job and congrats on the guest DT spot. Much deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fantastic snippets card Di! Love this design ... so fun and bright. Congrats on being GD at Less is More!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats Di on your GD spot at LIM! Love your hot air balloon. The paper piecing looks awesome! I love it when I use some of my scraps...makes me feel good! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a good idea to use that black marker Di - and what a stunning card! x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful card Di! Love The súbtle coludos too! X

    ReplyDelete
  37. Apologías for Spanish predictive text! Long Story! I meant súbtle clouds Di !!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ah Di, didn't have time to read this bacjpkground story when saw the card in my dashboard but now have few minutes (sort of) and did live this whole post and now get yesterday's post... Mm some are slow.
    First of all a big congrats on GDT place, very worthy indeed, and you really excelled in wonderful skill with this one...
    Mm may not make it over to LIM as garden awaits... Busy time as need to get it done for those cancers to come off as you know, but made great progress in hard yakka in rose patch so am thrilled... And grateful.
    Hugs to you dear friend and thanks again for picking my clockwork card, also thanks for popping over, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards}

    ReplyDelete
  39. A lovely bright balloon and a great idea for a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hello Di,
    sweet card. I love this colorful balloon and a wonderful drawing of clouds. I would gladly flew the balloon far, far away.
    hugs,
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congratulations Miss, perfect challenge for you to be a guest with. Fabulous card too x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congratulations Miss, perfect challenge for you to be a guest with. Fabulous card too x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Well done Di. I love the card, and the way you have used all those tiny snippets. Thanks for the tip with the marker too. That is definitely one to remember. Kate x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.