Wednesday 17 February 2016

Birthday balloons

I needed to make a card for a little neighbour, who is four years old this week, this was the result:
I used:

- 5" x 7" white card blank

- piece of SU 'Real Red' card stock as a 'frame' to the patterned paper, glued to the card blank

- cloud patterned paper is LOTV from their 'Up, Up and Away' paper pad, trimmed to just a little smaller than the red layer and glued in place

- a selection of  plain snippets of card, die cut with a balloon die from the Tim Holtz 'Crazy Things' die set

- using more of the same little snippets of coloured card I die cut the letter using the First Edition' 'Alphabet - Sans Serif' set of dies and then the number 4 using a Memory Box 'Classic Numbers' die

- glued the letters and numbers onto the balloons

- added small loops of red metallic cord round the tied part of the balloon and then stuck lengths of the same cord to hand from behind each balloon. It's much easier to do this as a two part process rather than wrestle with the cord all in one piece around the tied part and then hanging down

- before adding the balloons to the card I stamped the sentiment onto a white card snippet, using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and a stamp from the Hero Arts 'Messages' set

- die cut the sentiment using a Spellbinders plain oval die and mounted it onto a 'Real Red' Spellbinders die cut scalloped oval

-worked out where I wanted the sentiment to go and added three strips of ultra sticky tape 

- added a thin sticky pad to the back of each balloon and stuck all five in place with their dangling cord lengths then pressed onto the sticky tape where the sentiment would go

- added the sentiment, again using thin sticky pads

- to be on the safe side I had cut the cord lengths long enough to be able to trim them down once in place - job done!

I thought this card would be really quick to make - fiddle faddling around with the cord and adding it to the balloons took longer than expected though, sigh.

Di
x

23 comments:

  1. super idea Di, all kids love balloons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really fun and colourful, just right for a child. Worth the fiddle, isn't is always the way with things you think will be quick and easy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute kids card Di....it's often the ones we think will be straight forward which cause the headaches isnt it xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant card for a littl'un Di. In fact it would work for any age and celebration.
    Don't worry about things in the Playground... all is quiet and Dick Orem is doing a super job of keeping us in order xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, but all your "fiddle faddling" was worth it. Great card for a 4 year old . . . am sure he'll love it.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every child loves a card with their name and age on and the balloons look great Di and such fun! The cloudy bp is just perfect too. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your card Di. With all the coloured balloons and his name the little lad will love it I'm sure. The cloud paper is a great background too and I really like the HA sentiment stamp. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect card for a little boy, I'm sure that your neighbour's son will love it with his name in the balloon!! Sweet background and love how looks the red metallic cord of the balloons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute card Di he will love it .....hope your keeping well take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card Di, love how Luke's name is spelt out on the balloons, and the paper sets them off a treat!
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've learned to never trust myself when I tell myself that this will be a quick and easy card. Something always goes awry to make it more complicated than it seems it should be. This is cute as heck though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great card, Di, and he is sure to love it, with his name on it too! Thank you for your two lovely comments and your ideas for names for my little Panda are certainly different! I had thought of something vaguely Chinese but I am still undecided...

    Thank you for your kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed my post! It certainly sounds as if we both watched the same programme on the pandas - they were so adorable, weren't they.

    I've had a very busy day and am going to be a long time catching up on WOYWW!

    Happy WOYWW,
    Shoshi #61 (forgot to sign on till late p.m.!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea to spell out the name on balloons. Great card - I'm sure Luke will be thrilled. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is a super cute card Di! I love the balloons with the boy's age and name on them. So cute! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's the faffing around bits that either make or break a card so well worth it. Your balloons are super Miss. Me and Viv are gonna take our duvets and our prespective pills and stay holed up in the tree house. Hugs Mrs AA.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luke is going to be one happy boy when he gets this card! It's perfectly festive with those great balloons!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry hun, I think I might end up being a cheeky little copy cat ...I have a nice balloon punch and I remember having some cloud/sky digital designer papers to print out - so I am already sorry for _probably_ steeling your idea and making something similar (no need to say that I really like the simple look and the final outcome of your card)

    Hugs,
    Eemeli

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a happy and sweet card Di! Love the colorful balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable and I bet Luke was thrilled to get it. :) Always fiddly when you have little pieces like that ... but so worth the effort as your card is super cute. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like this boyish card. I fuss with the strings too. They are harder than they look to get the exact way you want them to be! Yours look great...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous card and such a cool idea! A perfect card for a little boy and could easily be girlie with different colours. I bet Luke loved it! I do! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great card, Diane! I always love balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable Birthday balloons! Loved this birthday craft. Will go for a similar balloon birthday decoration at our event space NYC. My niece’s birthday will be celebrated over there and want everyone to have a great experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.