It's time for a new challenge over at Cuttlebug Mania - this fortnight's theme is 'Have wings, will fly' and we're looking for a project which includes a bird or an insect with wings eg. butterfly, ladybird, dragonfly etc. More than one is fine!
Details of our sponsor/the prize to be won can be found over on the Cuttlebug Mania Challenge blog.
You do have to use a manual die cutting/embossing machine for Cuttlebug Mania entries (it
doesn't need to be a Cuttlebug but it must be manual, not electronic). And, you can't mix the two, it must be all
manual please. Then make your
entry, link into the challenge, link to the challenge in your own blog
post and and make sure that you also say what products you used for any
This is what I made:
- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blank, tent style
- SU's 'Certainly Celery' flowery DP, trimmed to just slightly smaller than the card front and glued in place
- the white frame and inset panels were cut using an offcut left over from making the card blank and Just Right's 'Three in a Row' set. I've got a bit of a 'thing' at the minute about frames with white inserts but the inserts were likely to have a gnats whisker of green showing around the edge so I backed the frame with white card before popping the inserts in place. I know, it would only have been the thickness of the actual cutting line - but CDO (OCD) struck again!
- glued the frame in place on the card front
- the sentiment is from the Paper Smooches ''Sentiment Sampler' set, stamped using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink
- the leaves were cut from a snippet of plain SU 'Certainly Celery' and a die from the Spellbinder 'Rose Creations' set
- those cute little ladybirds are from an Elizabeth Dies set called 'Lady Bugs'. I just added some Stick-It adhesive paper to snippets of red and black card, die cut the ladybirds and assembled them - making sure none of the black spots made a bid for freedom before they were popped in place! The die does cut the holes so the black body shows through but I thought it looked more realistic to have the spots flush with the red wings - despite it being a bit fiddly
- glued the leaves and the ladybirds in place using Collall All Purpose glue, in a fine line applicator
I hope you find time to play along with the Cuttlebug Mania
challenge - there's lots of scope with the theme. I had ideas for a few different cards before settling on this one - and of course your 'thing with wings' doesn't need to be a die cut. I'd had the ladybird die set for ages - NBUS needless to say - and wanted to give it a first outing :)