Friday 19 January 2018

Twofer Card Challenge #1

I was going to leave my entry for Darnell's new 'Twofer' card challenge until my usual Wednesday post. But, that's really very last minute, the cards are made already, and I'd cry if someone comes up with one of my ideas.

We have to use a 'feather' stamp and/or die on two different cards, for two different occasions - and you need a stamped or die cut sentiment to emphasise which occasion the card is for - easy huh?

After much pondering about just how to achieve what I wanted for the Christmas card I found a neglected set of feather stamps lurking here. And away I went with these cards as a result:

This is the stamp set I used - just the the smallest feather stamp on the bottom right:
Here are the cards on their own, with how I made them:
I used:

- 5.5" x 4.25" white card blank, tent style

- snippet of SU 'Certainly Celery' card for the backing layer, topped by a piece of paper from the 'Sweet Wishes' paper stack (free with a magazine ages ago) - glued together and set aside

- then stamped the blue and pink feather onto a snippet of white card using a slightly curved feather from the Viva Decor stamp set, which has loads of lovely feathers in. Made in Germany but also available over here in the UK. The inks for the feather are Memento 'Summer Sky' and VersaMagic 'Pink Petunia' - chosen to match the patterned paper

- next, stamped the sentiment using stamps from the 'Hot Stuff' stamp set made by Clearly Besotted and SU 'Wild Wasabi' ink pad

- die cut the 'banner' using a die from the MFT 'Stitched Fish Tail Flag' Stax set

- then drew around the same die and cut it even bigger than the pencil lines using more 'Certainly Celery' card - the dies cut really close to the edge of the metal so I had to create my own wider border

- glued the two layers together, trimmed the top and added it to the layered green and patterned paper before then gluing them to the card front

Loved making this card, lining up the patterned paper was a challenge - and there's no way I could have stamped the sentiment without the Misti!

I thought about Darnell and her lovely little (not so little now) twin grandsons whilst making this - even though the card is for a 'one of each variety' :)

My Christmas card is next, and that's the one I'm really happy with as I stretched the Misti a little bit further. I've never seen this done before but someone will already have 'sussed' it I'm certain:
I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card blank, side opening

- then cut a piece of white card to an exact square - I think mine was 5" x 5" - just make sure you have it big enough to either die cut or trim down later as placing the feathers was a bit of an unknown in terms of the final size I confess

- I marked the centre and then lightly drew around a circular die using a soft pencil

- selected the same smallest feather stamp along with three different SU green ink pads and it was time to play

- set the card in place in one corner of the Misti (for some reason I tend to go for the bottom left corner but the principle is the same however you prefer to position your card for stamping)

- then placed the 'softly curled' feather stamp in place at 12 o'clock on the pencilled circle. A slightly curled or curved feather is likely to work best for this technique

- picked the feather up with the lid of the Misti and then stamped it onto the card using SU's 'Certainly Celery' - the lightest of the green ink pads I'd chosen to use

- to be honest, at this point I could already see enough about where this was going so I carefully erased the pencilled circle and 'winged it'

- leaving the stamp in place, I rotated the piece of card by 90 degrees to the left, inked up the stamp again and stamped another feather. I did this twice more for the other two stampings, rotating by 90 degrees each time (I went to the left but either way would work I'm sure)

- now I had a piece of white card with light green feathers stamped at North, South, East and West - or, 12, 3, 6 and 9 on a clock face

- let's stick with the clock face descriptions (sheesh photos would be easier but all the photo editing is crazy!)

- next I cleaned the stamp using my Shammy and placed it onto the card in the Misti, at 11 o'clock this time, so it was overlapping the first feather by about half and also following the curve in my mind. One could argue that I have a VERY curved mind to be honest!

- stamped the feather four times, as before, this time using SU's 'Wild Wasabi' ink and of course rotating the card by 90 degrees each time

- last of the stamping was to clean the stamp and replace it at 10 o'clock on the happily forming circle. Then stamped as before, four times using SU's 'Old Olive' ink and rotating the piece of card by 90 degrees each time - so the circle was complete

- and there we have it, one feather wreath, all thanks to the Misti

- I die cut the wreath panel using a die from the 'Stitched Squares' set by The Works, and mounted it onto a slightly larger square of red satin mirri card 

- using more of the snippet of red satin mirri card, I backed it with Stick-It and die cut a sentiment using the Presscut 'Merry Christmas' die and a bow using one of the Memory Box 'Crisp Bows' dies

- snipped the long string off the bow and added that to the bottom of the wreath and then popped the sentiment in place

- did my usual trick next of running the panel through the Cuttlebug using the embossing plates on either side of the panel and an embossing  folder (left folded) on top to give the right pressure without leaving any indentations on the panel

- glued the panel in place on the card front

- added a few Josy Rose shiny gold star shaped nail heads here and there on the wreath and also on the 'knot' of the red bow 

I think this could work well using gold/ silver stamping inks as well - of course, if you're really wanting to 'sit and peel grapes' then you could possibly emboss each set of four feathers as you go.

I did read a few folks saying how much fun they had being able to use stuff for both cards whilst it was all out on the desk. The only thing I used more than once was the feather stamp - and I guess the Misti, guillotine and die cutting machine!

It was fun to play and after such a long absence I did spot my mojo peeking round the corner of the craft room door - almost ready to return!

Thanks Darnell for the swift kick in the rear end! I hope to be back to play again - once I recover from this first marathon!

 




40 comments:

  1. Great cards, love the christmas card.
    Hugs, Chantal S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun cards, Di, and a very creative use of the feather stamp. I have 2 sets of cards ready. All that's left to do is to write up my posts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twins! What a great idea to make pink and blue feathers for twins! I got as far as 'girl,' then stopped - but you've taken that a step further and done one for each! Brilliant! Very sweet babies card. And your wreath is really quite lovely. It has a wispy quality and captures the spirit of Christmas perfectly. Both cards are a delightful addition to the gallery! Thank you so much for joining us at the Twofer Challenge! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous cards Di, especially your Christmas feather wreath. Thanks for the MISTI tip on how to print it - I'll have to give it a go!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant idea for creating the wreath - I've tried to create a circular wreath from chilli stamps a few times and doing it this way would make it a lot easier. Which reminds me, do I need a set of Creative Corners for my Misti? I see a few UK sites have them back in stock.
    Two gorgeous cards and perfect for Darnell's challenge. Isn't her gallery looking great? She must be thrilled with the response.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are two great cards and thinking outside the box. The twin card is just adorable and the feather wreath is lovely. Great idea, Di.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great take on Darnell's challenge. I am really impressed at how well the feather wreath came out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now aren't you clever?! The Christmas wreath is just wonderful & I wouldn't have thought to use feathers for a baby card! Your mojo is back with a vengeance, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cor you've totally nailed the TWOFER challenge there mate. Fabulously creative - Mr Mojo certainly is peeking in through the door! Great use of the MISTI too.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cards are absolutely wonderful! Great job! And I lol’ed about sitting and peeling grapes! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great challenge - and one which I am struggling with!! Two fab cards Di. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two super cards Di, and the wreath is delightful with the two shades of green and they overlap and mix in perfectly to form the circular shape, and so much easier with the Misti, and the idea of two feathers one pink and one blue for twins is another great idea, and the sentiment is lovely, also the fishtail banner and paper design work beautifully. Two really pretty cards and great for the challenge. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these two cards Di, I had to look twice at the Christmas one as it didn't look like a feather. However it is and does look fabulous as a Christmas wreath.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your two feather cards Di, very creative! Great Misti tip....thank you!
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Di,
    what very brilliantly created twofers cards.
    I love them both as they are both so super and gorgeous.
    Such clever work with that wreath, and I love the design of the second one also.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, so clever both the uses of your feather! Amazing cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such creative and clever designs with your feather stamp, Di. Love the sweet baby card ... that background paper is so pretty and I love the banner design - great sentiment! The Christmas card is so creative. The feathers make a beautiful wreath! Looks like your mojo is going strong. Thanks for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super designs, Di, what a great set of stamps. I love the wreath made with the feather stamp and your twins card is a really clever way of using the stamp. I love the sentiment too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fabulous! and both using the same stamp! You're a very clever girl. CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two fantastic cards Di, a super set of stamps and two super designs and colours.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both are lovely cards but I just love the idea of feathers for newborn cards, its so pretty and delightful x

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are brilliant cards Di...great that you are happy card making and firing on all cylinders. Very clever designs.Have a lovely weekend, hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Christmas card is wonderfully creative in how you used the feathers to create a wreath, and Oh my gosh, the baby card is just delightful! You did a great job on the twofer!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Christmas wreath with the feather, love the simpicity and clever use :) the second card is such a pretty baby card.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful cards Di - what an awesome result with the wreath - great use of your Misti.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome cards Di! Of course the twins one would have done a treat for MY grandtwins... one of each; it is surprising when they were born how many peeps ended up buying two cards as "pigeon pair" options were thin on the ground! Now, I LOVE the Christmas wreath card, it is such a GREAT idea, perfectly executed (I got a stamp press for Christmas, I really MUST get busy with it!) and the bow is perfect (I've got this die and never think to use just the bow (maybe my mind isn't curved enough, lol) Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. They are two beautiful cards Di. Both very clever ideas with your feathers. The twins card is so pretty and how inspired to use a feather for a Christmas wreath. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. You almost tricked me with this one Di. For a nano-second I couldn't see the "same" stamp. I love your variation for the use of this stamp. -Higgledy Piggledy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Two stunning cards Di. I love the feather as a wreath, I had to re read that because it looks so much like greenery.
    sounds like a fun challenge might need to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW these are both just awesome! I love how that curved feather stamp lends itself to making a wreath ... just beautiful! Two fabulous and different cards ... WELL DONE! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ms. Di! Awesome feather twofers! I can see why you were particularly excited about the wreath Christmas card... it’s BRILLIANT! And you’ve mastered the MISTI to stamp it perfectly. I absolutely LOVE your cards. Fabulous job stretching that beautiful feather set.

    Now, I hope and will cross my fingers that no one will get the flu.🤞 It was rough and painful. Although, it sounds like you will be well taken care of with your personal nurse, Parsnips. 😉

    Take care... sending hugs and healthy well wishes.
    Trina xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brilliant! Your twins card is inspired and so pretty. That's a beautiful wreath too, even though you had to lie down afterwards. X

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great idea. I would never ever have thought about using feather to make a wreath!
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Two stunning cards, love how you created the wreath x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your mojo isn't just peeking around the corner, Di, unless you caught it on the way out just to grab a small beverage! It was definitely in the room and going strong when you made these two enchanted designs! Thank you for the shoutout and for truly embracing my concept!

    I have to say, that feather card for the twins is an absolute delight and the idea would work for one of each or either/or! The bright and happy pp and the banner are perfect!

    And your wreath is nothing short of genius! I like it SO much better than mine! I will try it again now that I've seen yours, only I will use my MISTI and a smaller curled feather, so thank you for detailed how-to. Seriously, it's impossible to tell that's a feather on first glance. The large Merry Christmas with that font and the lilty ribbon and stars finish it off brilliantly! Not to mention the matted square was the best choice for the card's overall design!

    I'm seriously in awe of both cards! Thank you rocking my first Twofer Card Challenge!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  36. Flipping eck Di that second card is blooming brilliant. Go to the top of the class for that idea. I have done two cards but will post em up tomorrow. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ooh Di, Both these cards are inspired ideas! The twins card is just genius, I love the pink and blue together - just gorgeous! Fabulous wreath too - so pretty with the added stars and pretty bow! I am going to make mine tomorrow - I know what I am doing for one but not sure about the other yet! Not that I am panicking - eeeeek! Hugs xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Two brilliant cards using feathers. Love the colours on the twins card and your feather wreath is pure genius xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Stunning cards, Di. Unfortunately I've been unable to join the challenge this time xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.