Monday 6 December 2010

More Christmas cards - thinking of my Dad

Today is always a sad day for me. Living in Germany for many years meant that 6th December was a celebration, but my lovely Dad died, many years later, on 6th December and since then I can't bring myself to put the tree up or anything, beyond making cards, until that date has past. I know, if he was here, he'd kick my rear end for being daft. When the dreaded call came I was baking six different Christmas cakes for him and the rest of family and I haven't baked one since either :(

And, exactly 30 years later today, I still miss him - although I do remember him whenever I look in the mirror and see I have his nose.....thanks Dad!! I know that John Lennon was shot a couple of days later and it totally passed me by as I was so consumed with the most awful raw grief of my own. But, everywhere these things happen and we do pick ourselves up and carry on, although never the same as before.

But, onto brighter thoughts - here's a very typically German style Christmas card (it's A5 - from my KanBan box of goodies) complete with huge lush red bow from my ribbon stash! Very OTT, but then Dad was always quite flamboyant and I'm sure he would approve. One of my young neighbours (20 years younger than me and still in touch) from those days apparently used to think he was David Niven ( perhaps that's why I can't help but shed a tear when watching his films)  - maybe now you get the picture of a mixture of elegance, a gentleman with panache, mischief and that twinkle of slight wickedness?!?! And I still miss him...............sigh. But I bet many of you also miss your own Dads too so I'm not really alone - although I also bet each and every one of us thought ours was the best one EVER!!

Di
x

2 comments:

  1. It's that time of year when we think of those we've lost, and with happy memories of our time with them. All Dad's are special, and I was a Daddy's Girl too, so miss mine so much. If only they could come back for just one more day huh........ Thanks for sharing your memories with us. Love, Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen. Hugs, Di x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.