Friday 14 August 2015

Happy 'Cakeday'

My guess is that this is done in many offices and places of work, on your Birthday you treat your colleagues to cakes. This happened in every place I worked over the years (sometimes with a lunchtime trip to the pub thrown in) and we often used to refer to Birthdays as Cake Days :)

So, when I spotted a stamp set - with a 'happy cake day' selection of words, I just had to buy it to use for some ex-colleagues when their birthdays come round.  The set also has an adorable doggie in, which looks very much like a Bichon Frise, and that was another driver for the purchase, see, I convinced myself it just was calling to me!

This is the first outing for the NBUS stamp and matching die sets:
I used:

- A6 white card blank, tent style

- slightly smaller piece of white card stock, with a snippet of striped paper added to the top and bottom edges (from the Pink Petticoat 'Vintage Rose Collection')

- the cake, cake stand plus striped candle were stamped using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink and stamps from The Stamps of Life 'Birthday4Cookie' set - then coloured with Pro Markers

- to die cut the images (using the set of dies to match the stamps) I first grabbed some waste card and die cut 'templates'. These could then be gently and temporarily stuck over the coloured images to act as a guide for the dies. Then the dies could be added by gently wiggling them into place before cutting - it all helps to take the guesswork out of positioning the dies over the images :)

- stuck the cake and stand in place on the card front and then stamped 'happy cake day' using word stamps from the set and Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink

- added a tickle of clear Wink of Stella to the cake icing/frosting and the filling - plus Glossy Accents on the plate part of the cake stand

- three sequins to finish off

I added a little bit of light grey shadow underneath the cake stand legs after I'd taken the photo - just to take away the impression that it was levitating or even just hovering like a lunar landing module :)

I do love the stamps and dies over at The Stamps of Life, happily they were posted to me from the USA as a letter so no duty to pay either.

Watched Part One of the Great British Bake-Off the day before making this card - and the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about the poor lady (Dorret) whose Black Forest Gateau literally cascaded into one huge sloppy mess after she'd tried really hard to salvage it. They did say it tasted good and was so pleased the judges kept her for the next round as her other bakes had been great.

Di
x

18 comments:

  1. I never heard of "cake day" but I'm willing to participate in one! Ha! Who doesn't enjoy a good piece of cake! Cute sentiment and cake, and I look forward to seeing the dog used next :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cake Day makes so much sense but I'd never heard that term. Of course you HAD to get that set--LOL! What a cute card--I know it will bring a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good cake day and this is a brilliant card Di!! When the boys were small they used to hold Cake Day at school when we all took in home baked goods. Sadly because of Health and Safety the schools, apparently, ask for shop bought cakes these days!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great card - I love the stamp and die set, another one for my wish list!
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surely every day is cake day? No? Well, that explains why my clothes no longer fit, lol.
    Fab card Di! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love that card. What a great sentiment and having dies to match is always a bonus.

    We take cakes to our Monday craft club for our birthdays. There are 50 members so we have lots of cake days! Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card ....super sentiment. Like the added touch of the stripes Di.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I worked in an office we bought cakes on our birthday too and this set of stamps is very sweet and great to have the dies to match. I also love the stripes at each end of the mat. Just to let you know the beautiful stamps and card arrived yesterday and can't wait to try them out! Thank you Di. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have to show us the doggie stamp. Super card miss. Just got The Doc to relate a story he told me years ago which your card reminded me of.
    In a previous life when he was the Network Operations Manager he had given the customer services girlies a particularly bad hauling over the coals. The next morning he had parked his car and was walking through the connecting passage way to his office block when he spied a carrier bag of cream cakes in boxes (which someone had obviously bought for said cake day) so he picked them up and took them into customer services. Needless to say the girlies were very happy and peace was restored !!!. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had cake days at work too Di and this card is perfect for the occasion, whilst the cake has got my mouth watering! I am a big fan of the bake off too and felt so sorry for Dorret's Black Forrest disaster. At least she didn't throw it in the bin...
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't see bake off but am loving the idea of Happy Cake Day . . . which is always a Saturday for us regardless of anyone's birthday! I mean, it's somebody's birthday SOMEWHERE in the world, RIGHT?

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember cake day so well, we used to do that at our work, don't know how I'd manage with it now though as I have to watch the old sugar intake, guess I'd have to just sit and watch the others eat theirs.....and drool!
    Love your card Diane, it's so sweet (excuse the pun) LOL
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  13. A cake day??? Great idea! Yumm!!! :D Fun card for it, very useful for all birthdys!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Di your card made me smile, we had happy cake days were I worked too, even when I just worked with other lady at her home we always had cream cakes on our birthdays. I love your card and it's great to have the matching dies.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, and what a pain it was sometimes, some liked this and some didn't like that and so on and so forth.
    Great stamp and a lovely sweet card.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute card Di. I saw that Bake off episode and my heart went out to her. Missed it this week.
    Hug
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't miss anything Sam - really one of the most boring episodes ever, Biscuits, and also very dry - snort! And Maria was kicked off - probably after the furore when she was outed as having some professional training/background. The truth will out sooner or later, thankfully sooner in this case.

      Delete
  17. Adorable Di. Birthday's in the offices where I used to work here in Canada do it differently. Someone else brings in cakes to celebrate birthdays ... not the birthday person. :) But I really think your way of doing it is much better. This is really adorable ... and whomever receives it will love it. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.